Wheels & Things

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
rusticdave
Not Quite Blue Yet

Wheels & Things

Post by rusticdave »

I have recently become a volunteer at a local museum and have been given a Fordson E27N Half-track to conserve. It hasn't been used for several years and needs a lot of TLC.
One of the reasons for non use is the metal front wheels that tear up the ground more than the tracks, I have seen other E27N's with tyred front wheels. If they can be sourced are they a direct replacement or are the stub axles different, I have been told that a different axle was used.
The other more immediate question is how to test a magneto, at the moment I have no spark at the plugs. Although I have worked on quite a few different vehicles over the years any that may of had a magneto never had a problem. What do I test and what am I looking for, apart from the obvious spark of course.

Tim W
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Wheels & Things

Post by Tim W »

Hi rusticdave, welcome to the forum

As far as I know, wheels are interchangable, not aware of any differences in the mounts. There are different front axles but it usually refers to the width/adjustablity not the mounting. Where are you? sure someone must be local if not maybe we could post a pic to compare to yours?

in terms of mag, early ones were fitted with lucas gj's, then RF4's, both have adv/retard mechs - there is a lever on the dash which should be connected to the mag -if its down it will cut out the mag - no spark! many have the SR mag fitted, which will work but isn't as good. (no adv/ret or cut out). Google your mag should get you a manual.

No spark - check plugs/lead/cap, then check/ adj. points, change condenser/capacitor.Still no joy then probably needs profesionally testing to check the windings. Maybe borrow a mag to see?

Hope this helps...
1947 E27N, some grey ones and a 1953 AJS 350...

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Most of the time the points will need cleaning if the mag has sat for a long time. You can test the coil with a multi meter set on olms. Mags are usually not hard to fix as long as the coil, condenser, and points are still available. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

rusticdave
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by rusticdave »

Thank you for replies, have cleaned and checked magneto, set points, got a spark and started it!! Ran quite smoothly.
Now just need to know if solid steel wheels can be changed to tyred wheels.

E45NP6
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by E45NP6 »

If you can find a set of front wheels from any E27N or E1A major they will fit the spindles you have currently
1950 Fordson E27N Perkins P6, 1952 Fordson E1ADKN.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I have got a couple of E1A Major wheels that you could have FOC but we would have to find a way to get them to you. They are very heavy.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

rusticdave
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by rusticdave »

Thank you for replies.
Brian - thanks for the offer, I will talk to museum to see if anything could be sorted out. I was in Norfolk 2 weeks ago.

rusticdave
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by rusticdave »

Brian - reference your offer of wheels, I have talked to the museum today and apparently one of the volunteers visits Norwich on a regular basis. Do they have tyres fitted, might make difference depending how big his car is.
Perhaps you could reply and we can exchange direct contact details.
David

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

No, they do not have tyres and they weigh about 150lbs each.

We can lift them into transport with an engine crane but they are not things to transport in a Mini. :D Send me an e-mail at the address on the site, or a PM.

I am not coming your way at present otherwise I would bring them on the trailer.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

rusticdave
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by rusticdave »

I have now nearly completed the resto, well as far as I am allowed. Tracks have been off, new brake linings fitted and various other repairs. Nearly finished the repainting but am still hoping to change the front steel wheels for wheels with tyres.
David