Wieringerwerf on Wheels

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Wieringerwerf on Wheels

Post by Brian »

Jan sent me these great pictures of a model "N" that was at this event on Wieringermeer Polder, in Holland on the 28/6 2009.

Many thanks Jan.

I have ploughed with a Super Major and a three furrow plough using a set of Rotapeds like these. They were used over in England by Howard Rotovator Company on their land drainage machines but in Stuart Gibbards book, "Ford Tractor Conversions" they are shown on every Ford tractor from the "N" to the Ford 5000 and even a Dexta.

They were invented by Mr O. Singer and manufactured by a number of companies including Leeford (London) Limited.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Stevo
True Blue

Post by Stevo »

8) Hi Brian,
What a truley wonderful machine, I've never seen that configuration before. Whats with the (looks like motor cycle) chains? I've been looking for a N or F modle myself for quite a while but I don't think I'd know what do do with one in this configuration. I assume the solid Tracks if thats the right word are to spread the weight over very slushy ground. Any idea how effective they were at that? I've seen swampy's over here with very wide tracks but, like I say not with what almost equates to pontoons attached.

Regards,

Stevo

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Whoa, look at those front wheels! Solid iron if you ask me. Makes me wonder how fast she'll be resting on her belly when in muddy terrain...?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The chains pull the plates into position for her to run on. They tried tracks on some models but reverted to chains.

They may look cumbersom but they were excellent when the going was wet. In the case of the draining machines, these were massive for the time and dwarfed the tractors, but these little beasts just kept going. Not fast but just moving.

Only the other day, when I went to see Charlie, we were talking about how we removed an engine from a Super Major version that failed in the trench. It was on Rotapeds. We had to remove and replace the engine before they could get the digging wheel out of the trench to move her.

In my story about the first Henrietta, I mention she had steel front wheels, just like these ones. Now you see what I mean about steering on the road with a bit of weight on the back. It was a case of turn the wheel and hope. :(
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Stevo
True Blue

Post by Stevo »

Still its, one crazy :shock: looking set up. From the photo's though he's done a fantastic job on the restoration, looks like new. I'm sure it would turn a lot of heads at rally's. Just got a mental image of Brian with jaw grimley set taking a tight left hand curve on a hard surface and disappearing through a hedge row :lol:

Jan 59
True Blue

Post by Jan 59 »

Many thanks for putting photo's in this forum Brian :D
The tractor was used for trenching , the present owner plans to rebuilt it complete with the trenching unit.

Note the rear with the gearbox over the ptoshaft.
Is this to reduce standard speeds.
Year of manufactuer quoted as 1943. so import from UK must have been after 1945 .

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

I remember my old friend Bill Froome from Reading Berks restoring a beast like this in the 90's (he was in his 80's !). I gave him a hand to loosen up the Aluminium treads, a nightmare! He got it all going and with a top speed of about 1 1/2 MPH it crawled along. The action of the treads was fascinating to watch. I have a pic of a major fitted out like this. Take a look at http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn28 ... 0Pictures/
There are some other pics of my E27N L4 there as well as other tractor pics you may find interesting.

Regards
Jerry Coles
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's