What I'm into

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Stevo
True Blue

What I'm into

Post by Stevo »

8) Last of the rally photo's, these are the machines which really interest me, particularly E27N's
When I walked through the gate I was greated with a nice original F model, at least I think its an F, always have trouble with F and N models, this first one obviously hasn't run for a long time and was in perfect condition (in my minds eye, I'm sure my wife wouldn't agree) for an easy restoration project. Unfortunatly I could find the owner to get any good info on it.

This is a very good example of a restored F (I think) not to sure about the colour though, but then again I've seen plenty of FM's in virtually every colour you can image, including pure white :shock:

I took this second shot to show that necessity truley is the Mother of invention, :roll: the coil wired in is off a car, unfortunatley I couldn't find this owner either and it wasn't started while I was there.

This Malcolm Moore grader is fitted with an E27N petrol/Kero and was in very good condition, wish I'd got a few better photo's :cry:

I saw a couple of P6's and E27N petrols but nothing as nice as Milton (my E27N) :run: but there was a lovely Half track version, would have loved to see it in the tractor pull but this was not to be :cry:

And thats all folks

Regards,
Stevo

R W
True Blue

Post by R W »

Great Photos.
Last edited by R W on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stevo
True Blue

Post by Stevo »

Hi RW,
Thanks, The starter is the real McCoy, its a cav, I've had two P6's one with an after market perkins to replace the Petrol/Kero and the other factory fitted, 1949 and 1950 models respectively, both with Cav starters, I know the starter motors well as I had a hell of a time rebuilding one. :wink:

Regards,
stevo

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I belive the top two tractors are N's. If they were F's, the mags would not be in that position even if they were converted. Originally they would have had a coil box on the side and a timer in front. If converted, the mag would have been driven off of the front mounted timer. Also, the F's did not have the "Ribs" on the top front of the radiator. In my meager opinion, The N was a much better tractor with a magneto ignition and govenor. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

R W
True Blue

Post by R W »

[quote="Stevo"]Hi RW,
Thanks, The starter is the real McCoy,

Regards,
stevo[/quote]
My mistake, it showed up a lot clearer this time .
Regards,
R W

Stevo
True Blue

Post by Stevo »

Hi dave,
Thanks for clearing that up, N's it is. The F had (I beleave) a buzz coil located I think on the LHS and I wasn't aware of the radiator difference. I hope to restore one, one day once I finish my E27N.

Regards,
Stevo

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Steve,

Just a comment about the Irish N with the external ignition coil. That was a fairly standard work around for the N and the E27N when the coil in the magneto or the magnets failed. You just take the magneto coil out and wire up the points connection and the HT wire and you are up and running with a battery. Makes them one heck of a lot easier to start if you have the tendancy to spin the old girls over too fast as I did when I was a young lad. My father had the knack. Just a couple of turns to prime her up and then a short pull over compression and she would fire right up. Me on the other hand had the tendancy to wind too fast and the impulse drive on the magneto wouldn't catch and I would end up flooding the old girl. I am sure my dad always had a good chuckle when he watched me. He never did tell me the secret. That tractor only ever started when I was so worn out from cranking that I could hardly turn her over. :twisted: If only I knew then what I know now.

Regards, Frank.