newly aquired fordson

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
tmc
True Blue

newly aquired fordson

Post by tmc »

Hi All , I'm hoping to post some photo's to ask for any input or information about this tractor, serial 920437 , on the bellhousing 2243 ? mag. SR4

It looks as if it has had brakes previously ? It has a dynamo (would it have had a battery and if so where ? ) is it an industrial model ? the general colour was medium blue but the tank was empire ( maybe just an E27N tank fitted later )

I've not tried posting photo's before so I've no idea if this will work or not , if it does then any replies , info or input would be much appreciated.
Last edited by tmc on Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi tmc,

Given the serial number you are quoting you should have a Model N Fordson produced in Dagenham England some time in 1942. Originally it should have been painted a dark green colour to aid in camoflage. The pre war Model N was bright Orange and was considered too easy a target for the Germans during the war, hence the color change.

From the looks of it the front wheels have had lots of different colours on them. They should have been Green as well originally if it were a 1942 model. They also seem to be a slightly different casting to what I have seen on other 1940s Model N tractors so this may indicate another date for your tractor. The other possibility is that the tractor was originaly a 1933 to 1937 model which would have been blue with Orange wheels that has had a 1942 model engine fitted. This ties in better with your colour description. I can not be sure though and I am sure others can advise better than I can.

You ar probably right about the fuel tank, the script does look like E27N, but I am not expert enough to rule out that it is not a Model N tank. The colour on the end does sugest that it is E27N though.

The only Model N with electrics that I have ever seen is in a photo on the Cox and Turner web site, and that shows the battery mounted in front of the air washer directly behind he back of the engine. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the position, but Cox and Turner seem to know their Model N tractors well.

From the looks of it it does not look like an industrial model.

It looks like a great project and fairly complete too. It should be lots of fun to restore.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Picture posting with Photobucket is really easy.

Under the picture in your album it says "image code" Copy this and post it in your message. You should find it has [img]...[/img] already in the code.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

tmc
True Blue

Post by tmc »

Thanks for the replies , Frank , if it is a 1942 then would it be a
narrow wing model ? ( I've had a couple of these over the years and one was green with narrow wings , I was told to save metal ! unfortunately I didn't particularly value them or take as much notice as I should have ) yes , the engine turns ok and the block is undamaged so eventually it should turn out ok.
Brian , thanks for the photo advice , I posted another thread just to check it out , easy once you know how !

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

tmc,

The fuel tank belongs to a late model E27N as it has the horizontal pressing in the tank end.
BarryM