second newly aquired fordson

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
tmc
True Blue

second newly aquired fordson

Post by tmc »

Hi again , this time I'm asking for info and input on this E27N ,
on the bellhousing ( engine side ) T86478P , bellhousing ( g/box side ) B? 43 , mag SR4 ( no advance/retard )

is the carb correct ? what does the lever ( push/ pull with 4 notch's ) on the manifold do , the vapouriser ?
wrong front wheels unfortunately but I did get the grill with it fortunately.
Once again any info or input much appreciated.
Last edited by tmc on Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hello TMC,

What I see is the 1950 onwards vaporiser. Nothing wrong I think. The 4 notch lever controls a flap, where you can adjust the manifold from light work to heavy work, adjusting the flow of heat to the vaporiser.

Nice tractor I think.

Best regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi tmc,

Emiel is right you have a normal 1950s onwards vaporizer. This is not a reliable guide to the age of your tractor though as these were heavily marketed as an upgrade to earlier E27N and even Model N tractors. They were an improvement over the earlier model vaporizers and did save fuel for two reasons. The first was that fuel metering was done by a carburetor and the second was that you had the adjustable exhaust flow to the vaporizer. When you were doing heavy work not as much exhaust gas is needed to heat the vaporizer so the exhaust flap could be adjusted to bypass the vaporizer reducing exhaust resistance and hence saving fuel. I am envious, my E27N TVO tractor has a manifold that looks like Swiss cheese compared to the great one you have.

None of the numbers you quote give a clue as to the age of your tractor though. The best would be to search for some casting date codes. These take the form of letter number letter, ie A 20 P would indicate January 20th 1950. the easiest one that I usually look for is the one cast into the gearbox housing near the gear stick flange.

The magneto is not original, it should have advance control, and from your photos it looks like the control lever is just hanging there.

Looks like a great tractor.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

tmc
True Blue

Post by tmc »

Thanks again for the replies , I followed your advice Frank and got C22N which I guess is March 22nd 1949 for the g/box casting which could be correct I think ? I still can't find anything on the engine other than the stamping on the bellhousing which is the
T86478P I mentioned previously , the number stamps are correct
Fordson ( I know them now after registering 3 dexta's and a major ! ) but obviously the number isn't long enough ? maybe a replacement engine sometime ? I 'm sure I'll find out evenually.

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Just my bit but that petrol drainpipe should go straight down by the inlet manifold as you don't want fuel dripping onto the exhaust manifold otherwise some unwanted flames might occur!
I'm very surprised that your manifold lever still works as most seem to have rusted up solid. Keep it moving and you will find the best setting for the work you are going to use it for if you are going to use TVO once started on petrol.
Regards

Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

tmc,

Re the number on the bell housing, is it possible the last letter is an 'R' and not a 'P'. If this is the case, it is a reconditioned engine from around 1956. These started with the letter 'T' and ended with the letter 'R', and in 1956 would have had 5 numbers in between the letters starting with the number '8'.
BarryM

tmc
True Blue

Post by tmc »

Well spotted Jerry , it does want re-routing, Barry , that sounds
like the perfect explanation , I'm telling myself someone picked up the P instead of the R ( after all they are pretty close in the box ! )

Tim W
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Tim W »

Hi tmc,
the SR4 mag isn't standard, it will run but not properly. It should be an RF4 that will link up to the advance/retard/stop lever on the dash.

Tim