e27n help needed

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
The Tractor Kid
Not Quite Blue Yet

e27n help needed

Post by The Tractor Kid »

Hi i have just got an e27n in the last few days and i would like to know how old it is and the right number for it so i can get a log book from the dvla. I have got one number off the side of the engine and that is 5 m5p n6 and the other is found on the bell housing which is T75980P hope someone can help !!!! thanks

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi,

It sounds like you got a great Christmas present and welcome to the forum.

From the numbers you have given it looks like you have a factory reconditioned engine fitted. Someone on the board will be able to date the engine for you. The casting number m5p would indicate October 5th 1950 but if that is on the engine block it will not help in dating the tractor. If you are lucky the tractor will have it's original ID plate on it. That should be bolted to the engine side of the dash panel on the left side just under the fuel tank. That should have the original serial number stamped into it. More casting numbers in the form of letter number letter off main components will also help. The easiest one to find is the one on the gearbox housing just under where the selector plate bolts on to. Look for them all, as from what other members have said you will need them for the DVLA for an age related registration. I am no expert on those matters as I am on the other side of the world, but if you look for Brian's post on his registering Dotty his petrol Dexta ( just search for 443XUV ) it gives a list of things he did and that seemed to work well. Brian is our site expert on all things Fordson if you have not already noticed.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

The Tractor Kid
Not Quite Blue Yet

Thanks for the information I will have a look at the engine and see if i can get a number off there merry xmas to you all

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Hi Tractor Kid,

Engine No. T75980R would have been issued in the early part of 1955. The letter on the end, may look like a 'P' to you but it should be an 'R'. Maybe it was poorly stamped.

As Frank said get us some other casting numbers and we should be able to date it more accurately.
BarryM

The Tractor Kid
Not Quite Blue Yet

Numbers

Hi
I have found some more numbers on the tractor these are the casting number on the gear stick which is B3K and underneath that number there is this one stamped into the gear box casting 277007 i cannot find anymore numbers on the tractor so i hope these will help thanks

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi,

The B3K code that you quoted indicates that that part was cast on February the 3rd 1947. Tractors were usually assembled fairly shortly after the parts were cast so your tractor should be a 1947 model. There should be other letter number letter codes on all the major parts, which will hopefully tie in with similar dates confirming the build date.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.