The right colour for a County Crawler

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Aussie Frank
True Blue

The right colour for a County Crawler

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi All,

I finally have my Crawler home and I am trying to figure out what colour it should be. Mine is the full track version and it apears to be painted grey over the original E27N blue on the main skid unit parts. I can't tell if there was ever anything other than the grey looking paint on the County parts. The wheels are white and look like they always were. It is a 1951 model tractor.

I am making an assumption that it is a County crawler, it could be another full track conversion as I have not found any identification plates yet. Thanks in advance for any information.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

I'm glad you got her home, Frank.

One more thing.
:needpics:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

If its the E27N it should be dark blue with orange rear sprocket and front idler, if its the New Major, empire blue and orange sprocksts and idlers.

You might have red instead of orange over there though.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Frank,

When the crawlers arrived here, they were Fordson Royal Blue trimmed in orange. The orange was replaced with red (Moore Roadmaster Red) in Australia.
BarryM

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Here is a picture of my new baby.:D It is missing the engine and PTO shaft but I have all the county bits. It was originally a P6 diesel and I have all the conversion parts radiator, sump, gearbox adapter plate etc. apart from the flywheel. It should not take too long to track an engine down hopefully a running one. I already have found a dead engine with cylinder head problems and I may resort to fixing that one, but I have a friend in the country looking and I will give him a little more time before I resort to engine rebuilds again.

Regards, Frank.

P.S. Is it possible that the wheels were yellow? The insides of the rear wheels are yellow and the centre of one of the rear axles is yellow too. I found it in northern NSW so it could have been either NSW or QLD delivery when new.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

Matt 1944 N
True Blue

Post by Matt 1944 N »

Well done thats a nice find, it is a County, as mentioned above in the UK that would be painted in Oxford blue and would have orange idlers but i dont know about Australia

Nice to see some older tractors on here

Matt

Stevo
True Blue

Post by Stevo »

Hi frank,
Nice original looking beastie, for what its worth my 1950 P6 has a yellow (definetly yellow, not faded orange) undercoat under the red, everyone I've spoken to in the old machinery club I'm a member of (TADOMS) agree's blue with red, apparently a few did make it out with orange wheels so I guess you'd be OK with either colour. :wink:
Regards,
Steve