Roadless

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Kjetil
True Blue

Roadless

Post by Kjetil »

I have bought a Roadless, not sure of model.

Have not got it home yet, but seller informed me of problems with steering and propellar shaft from rear transmission.

I have been in contact with John Bownes, but they are not able to supply all parts, and also seems to be very expensive.

I have heard that the Roadless front axle is similar to a military truck, and would like to know if anyone have more details on this subject.

I have found a link to GMC CCKW, which seem to a be candidate.

http://www.archive.org/details/TM_9-801_Truck_GMC_CCKW

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

It is only the front axle that is from a GMC CCKW, but shortened at the left side. The propellorshaft joints are made of Hardy Spicer standard parts that are easy to buy from allmost everywhere, except for the overload clutch. You can try this place for CCKW parts, it is not too far from you.
http://www.terrangaxel.com/

Kjetil
True Blue

Post by Kjetil »

Grani, do you know if it is possible for me to buy a complete front axle from a GMC CCKW, and do the necessary modifications for shortening the left side?

Did Roadless make this modifications?

I talked to the people in your link, and they have complete spare axels.

Would be nice to have a front axle as spare.

I will be trying to locate a Roadless axle if possible, but spare parts seems to be few.

If anyone knew about Roadless spare parts, pleas let me know.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Kjetil wrote:Grani, do you know if it is possible for me to buy a complete front axle from a GMC CCKW, and do the necessary modifications for shortening the left side?

Did Roadless make this modifications?

I talked to the people in your link, and they have complete spare axels.

Would be nice to have a front axle as spare.

I will be trying to locate a Roadless axle if possible, but spare parts seems to be few.

If anyone knew about Roadless spare parts, pleas let me know.
Yes you can do that if you vant to, but I think it would be easyer to just change the innerparts from the new axle to your old axlebody. The left driveshaft going to the diff is an outershaft that is turned around. Make shure you have steering stoppers at both wheels so that the steering angle stays at max 28 degree.
Yes Roadless made the nessesary changes to the axle to fit to the tractor and they payed 7$ each for them in USA.

Kjetil
True Blue

Post by Kjetil »

Grani

Does it mean that all innerpart in the Roadless and GMC axles are identical, except the left driveshaft?

You said that the "The left driveshaft going to the diff is an outershaft that is turned around".

Does it mean that I can simply turn it around, without doing any modifications to it?

As you know, on the Swedish forum, the part list and drawings for the Roadless is included.

Which figure and part is this driveshaft shown?

In the part list, they say O.S. axle and N.S. axle shaft...
Do you know what O.S. and N.S. means?

Thanks for any help.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

O.S. and N.S. are British references, Off Side and Near Side. Off Side is the Right side of the tractor, looking from the seat and Near Side is the Left side.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Kjetil,

Roadless were very clever when they shortened the CCKW axle. They realised that the splines on the outer and inner shafts were the same so they made the axle housing short enough so that an outer shaft would be long enough to replace the original inner shaft. That way they did not have to make any special shafts for their front axle, all they had to do was buy extra outer shafts. The Roadless parts list clearly shows that the two outer shafts and the short inner shaft are the same part number. Part number A.22261 short axle shaft x 3 and long axle shaft A.22262 x 1, item 3 and assembly 2 with two shown together in figure 4 of the parts list from the Roadless 4WD for the Fordson Super Major manual that you are probably refering to.

I have been looking for a roadless conversion for a long time and that is why I researched the subject so much. I thought if I could not buy a roadless axle maybe I could build one. Fortunately it looks like I may not have to now, as I have found a suitable roadless axle. The transfer box is not 100% though.

Regards, Frank.

P.S. I am green with envy of all you guys who seem to be able to find Roadless tractors. I have never seen one here in Australia.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Brian wrote:O.S. and N.S. are British references, Off Side and Near Side. Off Side is the Right side of the tractor, looking from the seat and Near Side is the Left side.
Sounds like it goes back to the days of Sailing Ships. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Thanks Aussie Frank for a much better explanation than what I came up with. This was what I meant. :oops: