What year is my P6?

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
E45NP6
Not Quite Blue Yet

What year is my P6?

Post by E45NP6 »

G'day all,

It has not really bothered me up until now, but i really would like to know what year/month my tractor was made.
Problem is, the only numbers i can find on the whole thing is the Perkins engine number ( 0440125 ).

The brass "high-top" plate has long been removed, and only STD 4.3? i think it reads, as the tractor is at a friends Shark i don't get to see it as much as i'd like too.

Thanks guys, E45NP6
1950 Fordson E27N Perkins P6, 1952 Fordson E1ADKN.

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Re: What year is my P6?

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi,

I don't think your tractor can be dated from the numbers you have given us. The engine number I would expect to start with a 3 and be stamped on a flat machined surface towards the back of the engine on the exhaust side near the head gasket from memory. The number you quoted looks more like a casting number but I could be completely wrong. Even with the engine number it may not help much as I am not sure if there are any perkins experts here that would be able to date the engine from the engine number alone.

I would look for the gearbox housing casting date code. It will be a letter number letter combination cast into the housing usually found just under where the gear stick bolts to the housing. It can move around depending on age but is always fairly close to the gear stick mounting plate. The same combinnation of letters and numbers will also be cast into the back end and the axle housings too. They give the date when the parts were cast and will give some idea of when the tractor was made. Also look for numbers stamped on the gearbox flange near the starter. You may find the tractor serial number stamped there which can be dated too.

I hope this helps.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Re: What year is my P6?

Post by BarryM »

E45NP6,

Perkins Engine Identification:- Prior to Engine No. 311600.
The Engine Number will be found on the air induction side of the engine. Stamped on a machined surface. Located on the Camshaft Chamber or immediately below the Camshaft Chamber, towards the front of the Engine.

From Engine No. 311600 onwards.
The Engine Number is located on the Exhaust Manifold side of the Engine, towards the rear of the cylinder block.

If it is a Perkins Perpetuity Engine, the Engine Number is stamped on a brass plate at the rear end of the Camshaft Chamber.

I had a County Crawler P6 manufactured mid-December 1951 and it's Engine Number was 3095939.
BarryM