E27n poor performance

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Kevinmcd
Not Quite Blue Yet

E27n poor performance

Post by Kevinmcd »

Hi just brought my e27n home today. started up on petrol seems to be missing, but not sure as I have never had one of these before. Warmed it up and changed it over to TVO, very spluttery unless choke lever is about half way on then clears it's throat a bit, although runs and drives it is smoky while on TVO, white smoke. The Tractor is fitted with a Zenith carburettor and a later type of vaporiser.Can anyone help I,m sure the tractor will run better, any advice will be much appreciated, I live in Durham area.

Thanks

Kev

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: E27n poor performance

Post by Brian »

Welcome to the boards Kev.

I am not an expert on E27N's but we have a number on here who are. I have an E1ADKN Major which is also a petrol/TVO so perhaps can give you a few pointers.

White/Blue grey smoke can be caused by a number of things, head gasket or burnt valves will give you smoke and a misfire, check your compressions, is one less than the others when you pull her over on the handle?

What mix are you using for TVO? I use diesel and petrol in mine and she starts without the need to start on petrol but needs to be kept working. Any pottering around and she oils plugs.

Is she running hot enough? These tractors really need to be hot. They run best when the manifold glows dull red! :D When ploughing, in the dusk, my manifold and exhaust pipe glow red and about 4" of flame can be seen out of the top of the pipe. Then she sounds beautiful and will pull a house down. :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Kevinmcd
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Kevinmcd »

Hi Brian,

thanks for the reply, as to what TVO mix I,m using answer is I don,t know just bought it yesterday and I used what was in tank, now I may be wrong but this Tractor has stood for a good few years prior to me buying and the TVO might be contaminated, can you tell me how to mix the TVO you use and to what quantitates, I will drain tank and start fresh.
One thing I did notice was all exhaust manifolds were dry except number 4 cylinder which was bubbling slightly.
I started the tractor on Petrol and it ran for about 5mins before switching to TVO, it ran and drove but smoky, no smoke on Petrol though, which is leading me to doubt the TVO is good, It did no work other than ticking over, looks like I should put it to work.

Kev

Kevinmcd
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Kevinmcd »

Hi since my post earlier I have taken the plugs from cylinders 1 and 2 and put them in 3 and 4 once fired up the unburnt fuel dried and cylinders 1 and 2 chocked up, so anyway I now realise that I have two duff plugs. so a set of plugs will be bought.

cheers

Kev

Tim W
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Tim W »

Shouldnt miss, but many things could cause it. A common thing is the valves on the back of the manifold - they're normally open but close when the engine fires up.
If its been standing for a while the valves rust up and break / dont seal so too much air is drawn in making it weak, You can get replacements, or simply replace with
a short bolt to seal permanently.
Could also be a cracked or porous manifold, theres a lot of bad ones around, or a bad seal on the inlet manifold to head. Then worn/blocked/badly set up carb, or mag, etc etc etc...
process of elimination really.

As for TVO, why bother? You need the engine really hot to prevent oil dilution/engine wear. 5 mins is nowhere near enough. A good workout ploughing
might get it warm enough though. TVO was only an advantge when it was cheap, today it costs more than petrol if you mix it ( and there's more to it than mixing a bit of parrafin/petrol/ diesel - you need to get the octane right, or at least close. .and also need a license to mix it legally, even if its only a couple of gallons...) For road runs/
rally use etc stick to petrol with the manifold on the coolest setting....

Tim
1947 E27N, some grey ones and a 1953 AJS 350...

Kevinmcd
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Kevinmcd »

Thanks Tim

don't know how to adjust the manifold to setting there is no adjustment just what looks like a very rusty bolt,Mmmm
I will give it turn and see what happens, can't afford to run this on Petrol fuel consumption is ridiculous, but then it's a 4 litre side valve, might look for a Perkins to go in, have some fun and economy.

Kev

Kevinmcd
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Kevinmcd »

Changed plugs today, running great now, warmed it up as much as I could changed over to TVO and not smoking at all now, running fine. now its running ok I will start the restoration.

Kev :D

Tim W
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Tim W »

Good result then!

Your manifold should look like this...

It connects to a flap in the manifold which directs gases either back on the manifold or out of the pipe.

Economy wise, its never going to be great but it shouldnt be that bad - there's a discussion on here from some time ago about it,
I think it was around a gallon/hour.
1947 E27N, some grey ones and a 1953 AJS 350...

Kevinmcd
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Kevinmcd »

Tim,
your manifold is different, don't know how to upload photos, so I will try to explain.

On the right hand side of the manifold in your photo you have an adjusting cam attached to the manifold with a nut, on mine the nut holds a circular spacer about quarter of an inch thick, on yours the arm drops and attaches onto a horizontal ratchet to adjust, mine has none of the above. Manifold, with bolt right through held on by nut, a bit like my self.... I need to find arrangement like yours.

what is the purpose of the adjuster.

Kev