E27n- add a power steering pump

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
CalGG
True Blue

E27n- add a power steering pump

Post by CalGG »

I would like to add power steering to my E27n, but first I need to have a source of pressurized oil.

yep, a pump.

I have an assortment of take off automotive p.s. pumps, and was curious if anyone had looked into doing similar.
I did a look through the Major forum, lots of good info there, but, the configuration is a bit different on the E27n, no steel frame rail to mount to.
On the plus side, the generator is high and on the right, so no conflict ....

I can't see anyway to pull off the 3ph tapping without conflict with the lift. Too bad...Any ideas there?

Comments welcome

Cal

Emiel
True Blue

Re: E27n- add a power steering pump

Post by Emiel »

Hi Cal,

Possibilities enough, just depends on how neat you want to have it.

1 connect a pump to the PTO
2 connect a pump between the pto for the lift and the lift housing. Cover it with a "foot board" between lift and steering column
3 connect a lift to the pulley drive gear in the clutch housing, use engine oil and just lead out the two hoses through the pulley drive cover plate.
4 Fabricate a pump support and connect it to the V-belt.
5 If you have electrics you can use an electric pump wherever you like, assuming your generator is capable of supplying the current.

Is your steering system in proper working order. If its 100%, then the steering is quite OK for such a large tractor.

Rgds
Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

CalGG
True Blue

Post by CalGG »

Emiel

Your response is appreciated!

I've thought of using the flat belt pully, Could be a great option for "universal Auxiliary Hydraulics, for a fellow could put on quite a pump! (Actually, I've seen that set up in a commercial offering)

I had not thought to "close couple" a pump to the shaft from trans to 3ph. I'm going to look at that though. Presently, I shift the 3ph drive out of engagement when not using the lift, but I doubt that "always on" would cause trouble in my lifetime.

The belt off the engine front pully would be my druthers (conventional if nothing else) Good location too , keeping hoses short and simple.

No way that feeble Lucas gen could keep up with any continuous duty electrical draw. The amps just seem to slip away. Barely enough for the lights, and then I added an electric driven snow plow hyd. unit.

OH The steering at present is ANYTHING but light, not even close to satisfactory in close quarters. (row crop work would be no trouble, but I have none of that)

With the front end up off the ground, steering is one finger, Put the weight of a snow plow on and tires back to earth, and it's "Armstrong steering" for every inch. Perhaps I should hang a 1/2 ton off the back.

Too warm here the past couple of days to think of any fabrication. I'll keep working on a plan.

Regards

Cal

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

CalGG wrote:I would like to add power steering to my E27n, but first I need to have a source of pressurized oil.

yep, a pump.

I have an assortment of take off automotive p.s. pumps, and was curious if anyone had looked into doing similar.
I did a look through the Major forum, lots of good info there, but, the configuration is a bit different on the E27n, no steel frame rail to mount to.
On the plus side, the generator is high and on the right, so no conflict ....

I can't see anyway to pull off the 3ph tapping without conflict with the lift. Too bad...Any ideas there?

Comments welcome

Cal
Hi Cal
I was looking on ebay a few weeks ago and there was an e27n with power steering on it. It looked like the generator had the power steering pump/reservoir mounted on the back :wink: . It kinda looked like it was a Lucas generator of the same style as the tractor originally had.
I can't help with getting one but wonder if it came off a heavy truck of some sort :| or maybe try searching Ebay and see what comes up :) .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

Hi a point anywhere but the engine is not live so when manuvering every time you put in the clutch there would be no power steering. i find whichever end you hang something of significant weight on you need something on the other end .we run the linkage all the time as we use it as a clutch brake you often see people grinding away trying to get in gear but a tap of up with the pedal in stops it dead . the e27 loaders here have the axle steering input arm lengthened which can be bolt on it makes quite a difference also when going backwards any slack in the tie rods builds up and you get marked tow out which jams the steering we cut our loaders tie rod and made it adjustable to get it square it makes a lot of difference hope that’s helpful b
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

CalGG
True Blue

Post by CalGG »

It seems like what ever effort is needed to add a pully to the crank will be worth it.

I have my doubts that just adding a pump to the present belt would transmit the needed power. Crank, water impeller, generator, and a hydraulic pump? The belt contact angles open up with every added corner. Any thoughts on that?

I have heard of those "generator/ hydraulic pump" combinations, but I have not ever seen one.

No loader on this one, so there is ample room to do just about anything. Still, a clean job is it's own reward.

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Cal
I had a look round on the net last night it seems that some old jaguar cars had a Lucas version of this system fitted but no reservoir attached, Older chevs had a similar thing too. so if a guy could get the right width pulley on it and mount the reservoir i guess you'd be in business :) . It seems to me the other methods would be a load of messing around and it would look like Heath and his buddy Robinson had been at it, and you would probably never be really happy with it :wink:.
It seems that with all these good idea projects we come up with, the parts are there it's just the cost that is the problem :cry: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.