E27N Runs for 1 min and then stops

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
ATB
Not Quite Blue Yet

E27N Runs for 1 min and then stops

Post by ATB »

Hello can anyone help?
I have an E27N Petrol/Paraffin 1947. It’s a the model used to power a thrasher with the pulley wheel on the side and a Lainchbury winch on the back

I restored it about 15 years ago and set it up in a shed. I’m now trying to get it running again, but I’m having trouble getting it to run again.

It will fire up and then run for about 1 min and then stops. I think it might be a fuel thing but I’m not sure. I have had the carburettor apart but can see anything amiss. Any ideas?

Oh by the way I have never seen a carb like it on any other E27N.
Any help would be appreciated.

Emiel
True Blue

Ignition

Post by Emiel »

Hello ATB,

First to your tractor, this type of vaporiser setup is original for this tractor. In 1950 Ford changed to the newer system with a real carburettor on a modified manifold casting.

This set up should not make very much troubles, in other words, it should alway run for a while when there is a spark over the piston. Our E27N ran without the float and float chamber cover fitted and the tube between the vaporiser and lower side off the manifold corroded badly with holes in it.

In my opinion you should check the ignition first.

Main suspect may be the magneto. Normally when the engine stops after about one, to one and a half minite, the condensor in the magneto is faulty, or the insulation of the copper wires around the magneto is defect.

Don't start with the expensive things before you have checked the following:
-Plugs OK?
-Plug leads OK?
-Choke throttle OK?
-Fuel tap OK?
When al is OK, then check the magneto. Best is to ask somebody who has a N or E27N too which runs, to use his mag for half an hour.
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

Hi and welcome to the Forum ATB.

I haven't any experience with the E27N but I'm confident that they have a gauze screen fitted on top of the fuel tap similar to the Majors.

You didn't describe how the engine cut out. Instant; coughed and spluttered ?? etc., which might give a clue to the cause. You did say that you thought it a fuel problem. Often your gut feeling can be the best indicator. Hence, I'd be suspecting that screen. You'd probably only have to take the fuel line off and see if the fuel flows freely into a container.
Emiel is experienced in these tractors and his advice is always good. He mentioned the fuel tap but I thought I'd expand on that point.

Good luck.
'
Regards,
Rick

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

When I owned a Pet/TVO E27N it would do a similar thing.
I got it down to rubbish in the bottom of the fuel tank resricting the fuel flow.
Try putting a small amount of petrol in the TVO tank (first drain the TVO!) and try starting it switched to the TVO side, if it runs OK then its a fuel restriction in the Pet side. A peek with a torch may reveal crud. Remove the fuel line after syphoning out any remaining fuel and clean inside around the fitting.
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

ATB
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ATB »

Thank for all your suggestions.
I will try the fuel first. I will check the gauze filter and have a look in the tank.
Then I will go onto the electrics. I have found a company that will do a rewind for the mag and new condensers.

Unfortunately time is not on my side at the moment as work is really busy. Hopefully I will get some time over the weekend! (looks like I’m in for some more right arm ache! :cry: )

ATB
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ATB »

Hello,
Well the last time I posted about this was April 2008! Nothing like getting things done quickly! LOL!

This is the update – New recon mag is on and it’s running very nicely...
But this is the problem, it runs nicely when I can get it started. At the moment the only way I can get it to start is to put a small amount of petrol in with the 4 spark plugs.

I’m starting it as per the instruction book. Ignition off and turn it over 4 times, ignition on, choke out accelerator pulled out 5 notches and then crank away.

The next problem is when I’ve turned it over a few times it’s then flooding.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I would try it without choking it so much. Many of my vintage petro tractors only require two half turns of the crank with the choke on. The third pull, they usually run. Some, only a part of a choke. I always leave the mag on when I crank them. And always crank them with upward with your thumb folded with your fingers and not around the crank just in-case it does kick. I've started hundreds of engines this way for over 40 years and have never broken an arm. Dandy Dave.
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

ATB
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ATB »

Thanks Dandy Dave
Tuck the thumb in!!! yep I do that. :shock:

I will try it with less choke, as per your suggestion. I have been turning it over from the 10 o’clock position to the 3 o’clock position.

Any one else got some good advice?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

If she has to have petrol in the plugs to start, she is not drawing enough though the carb.

Have you tried increasing the main jet if it is adjustable or checked the float level?
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Are the valves in the manifold closing when starting? Otherwise they suck air in. They should only let surplus fuel out when crancking over on the shoke.
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

ATB
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ATB »

Ok, I’ve had another go at it.

This is what I did-
Pulled the choke right out.
Turned it over once
Pushed the choke right in
Turner it over – on the third turn it fired for a second.

Then repeated the above each time firing for a little longer
On the 5th time it fired right up and ran as normal :clap:

I think the biggest problem was the user error! This is the only tractor I’ve ever had that’s not had an electric starter. So it’s all been a big learning curve for me!

Any way here is a photo of the old girl.
And from the back

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi ATB
Nice to see you have a Lainchbury winch fitted.
Take a look at my pictures below:
http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/JerryColes/
I once owned an E27N with an L4 conversion and that was with a Lainchbury winch and had great fun with it.
I will try and look for the copy of the manual which I obtained from the Museum of Rural Life in Reading for you.
Jerry Coles
Near Bath
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's