Perkins P6 CAV starter

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
TK
Not Quite Blue Yet

Perkins P6 CAV starter

Post by TK »

Sirs,

The starter on my E27N P6 engine screams/squeaks when turnig the engine. No noice when just running the starter off the engine.

I have had it appart and cleaned it, should the brass clutch plates be dry or oiled during assembly of the starter?

Do anyone have experience with these starters?

Regards,
TK

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi TK,

If your starter is squeeling and the motor is not turning over properly it is probably the release clutch slipping. I know Stevo had similar problems with his CAV P6 starter and replacing the clutch fixed it. My P6 starter did the same thing too and it is a Bosch starter. As far as I know parts are still available, both Stevo and I put new clutches into our starters, but it may take some time to find an auto electrician who is prepaired to take the time to get the part or a supplier that has the old parts book. Good luck.

Regards, Frank.

Stevo
True Blue

Post by Stevo »

Hi TK,
My Cav starter gave me a hell of a time, I must have pulled the damn thing to bits at least a dozen times, it was spinning against the flywheel without enough force to engage the gear, that gave the noise you describe, (it also damages the ring gear teeth) in the end I took it to a starter motor rebuilder who correctly diagnosed the problem, as Frank says the clutch had gone. I'm not talking about the plates but the brass spring part, you cannot tell the wear by looking at it, with the benefit of hindsight its a simple thing to replace, I got mine through the rebuilder but unfortunately he's no longer in business. He had no trouble obtaining it but I don't no from where. When I get a chance I'll try to find the supplier but it was a few years back. No oil is used internally and the only lubrication is provided by the felt oiler located at the top of the starter near the where it enters the bell housing. Hope this is of some help.

regards,
Stevo

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Steve,

Have you a source of oil filters over there for the P6 in the Major? If so, would you please either post it or let me know.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Stevo
True Blue

Post by Stevo »

Hi Brian,
I did replace both oil filters a year or so back but can't find a record of the replacement part numbers, (I vagley remember posting something on them at the time)the paper cartridge type I got a match for and the felt one was replaced with a paper cartridge type which needed to be cut to size and the original felt seals put back on, both fitted into their original housings nicely and I haven't had a problem since replacement. If you can wait, when I get a chance I'll pull the filters out of Milton and go and get a match, and probably a set as spares if you don't want them. The company I purchased them from isn't far away and they were of the shelf. Can't tell you the name at the moment but I know where they are.

regards,

Steve

Stevo
True Blue

Post by Stevo »

TK,
If your still interested in a clutch for your starter, let me know, check your starter to confirm the serial Number and type, mine was a Type BS512K65 serial # 98582, The supplier is a company called Ingram over here, not to far away, if you like I'll get a price or you can try yourself 07 37154600, you'll have to put in Australia international phone code first I think its 06 but you'll have to check.
Regards,
Steve

Stevo
True Blue

Post by Stevo »

Brian,
Just to amend the above, :oops: sorry I was thinking of the fuel filters for some reason but I'll do the same for the oil filter and let you know.

Steve

TK
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by TK »

Brian, Stevo

Regarding oil filter replacement
I have used a FRAM paper element that fits into the brass cage without any modification, or felt from the old filter.
The FRAM number is CH 836 PL-1 I guess with cross references on that, filters from various suppliers may be available.

Stevo,
Thanks for your info on starter clutch, I have cleaned the plates, and now it is turning the engine without any noice. Some problems now and then with engaging, but work for now.

My P6 project does not run yet, the injector pump is now at a diesel shop for rebuild.

Regards,
TK

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Brian,

In answer to your oil filter question, I have not found a real replacement for the P6 felt filter that was originally used but I have found that the Ryco R2068P filter element fits inside the original cage. It is designed to have the oil flow from the outside to the inside but since it just fits inside the brass cage from the original filter I don't think it matters too much so long as the outer cage is still there.

Regards, Frank.