diesel major front axle

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
pars65
Not Quite Blue Yet

diesel major front axle

Post by pars65 »

anyone know the torque settings for the top nut on the spindle body and the extension body nuts and bolts.

CalGG
True Blue

Re: diesel major front axle

Post by CalGG »

I'm pretty sure that Fordson didn't supply torque settings for any of the fasteners on any portion of the E27n. The mechanics were expected to use common sense.

But there could be opportunity to consult torques values for similar sized fasteners in similar applications for those who had not developed "the feel".

Perhaps there are values given for certain components of the "New Majors". I don't know, I don't have one of those or cared to look into it.

Good and tight has always worked for me.

pars65
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by pars65 »

thanks for reply will go with good and tight way.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

A quarter turn before the bolt head comes off should be aimed for .............. :wink:

They are pretty robust and thread cleanliness and a decent split washer should keep 'em there
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

oehrick wrote:A quarter turn before the bolt head comes off should be aimed for .............. :wink:

They are pretty robust and thread cleanliness and a decent split washer should keep 'em there
The ultimate tightness of a nut or bolt is the point just before the threads strip, or tights tight and to tights ( insert swear word of choice here) :lol: . Is the way it was told to me many years ago, by Mr Harries The blacksmith I worked for in west Wales at weekends and after i finished school for a few years.
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

super6954 wrote:
oehrick wrote:A quarter turn before the bolt head comes off should be aimed for .............. :wink:

The ultimate tightness of a nut or bolt is the point just before the threads strip, or tights tight and to tights ( insert swear word of choice here) :lol: . Is the way it was told to me many years ago, by Mr Harries The blacksmith I worked for in west Wales at weekends and after i finished school for a few years.
Regards Robert
LOL.. Yup. So true. Heli coils, or new bolts. Most likely both.. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

CalGG
True Blue

Post by CalGG »

Now about those "split washers"

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=230741.....

worthless.......;-)

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

I get a 404 for that url CalGG

Only useless if fitted with a penny washer between 'em and the job :curse: I know some of the more modern shakeproof washers may be better but they do not survive longterm corrosion like the old square section split washer, besides we have a range of Loctites now so in critical places they are only there for originality :wink:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes