1922 Fordson F zen earthed in so./cent. Texas. . .

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
georgeford
Not Quite Blue Yet

1922 Fordson F zen earthed in so./cent. Texas. . .

Post by georgeford »

. . .and I need a mentor to advise me on it's restoration. I have many questions like Why doesn't the left spindle steering arm ball nut not 'clear' the front axle and allow the tractor to turn left and does the spindle washers go above or below the spindle body? I have everything sandblasted and in primer and know the New Holland paint number for the correct gray/green Fordson color. Also, the wheels are IH red and I've received a new radiator core. Ready to assemble. george house gwhouse731@gmail.com

Eric Schulz
True Blue

Re: 1922 Fordson F zen earthed in so./cent. Texas. . .

Post by Eric Schulz »

Could you please translate your heading into Australian? 1922 Fordson F and Texas I understand, it's the bits in-between that have me puzzled.

Eric

georgeford
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by georgeford »

Ha! Good point Eric. My fat fingers got in the way. '22 Fordson Model F UNearthed in Texas. It was left outside for 65 years and fairly sunk 8" into the ground. Wheels were in unusually good condition tho'. Head bolts, sparkplugs and Pistons removed and lost.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

georgeford wrote:Pistons removed and lost.
Pistons removed and lost... Now that can bee a bit of a problem.. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

SkidRoe
True Blue
Location: Tetenhall Wood, UK (was Thorndale, Ontario, Canada)

Post by SkidRoe »

Did you get your steering issue corrected? It sound to me like the king pins and/or the axle holes are worn and your from wheel camber is gone.

I had the same problem with the N when we restored it, but not near as bad as yours. I ended up building up the axle king pin holes with weld and then re-boring them on a milling machine with a boring head. This not only fixes the rod end to axle clearance, it makes for much easier steering effort.

HTH - SR
Fordsons: 22 F, 36 N, 50 E27N, 60 FPM Past: 60 Dexta, 61 SM
Fords: 78 6700 Turbo, 81 TW30, 89 4610 4x4 w/ Frey ldr, 96 7740 SLE 4x4 Past: 72 4000 w/ Allied 660 ldr, 75 5200, 76 9600
Others: MH 30 & 44, Oliver Super 55, Bobcat 440b & 773

fordsonf25
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fordsonf25 »

You should be able to find some pistons but the problem would be finding a set with good bearings.

I wonder if its worth begging and asking nicely if there is any chance the previous owner may still have them in a shed somewhere to help restore it :beer:
My 1925 Fordson Blog http://www.fordsons.co.uk

georgeford
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by georgeford »

Found the Pistons and rods. Now all I need is 1 wrist pin with that bolt notch. Have a leftover Rod that different from other 4. Anyone need it?

fordsonf25
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fordsonf25 »

Nice one :clap:

It is worth keeping hold of the rod and maybe take it to a show if you take the tractor to one.

SkidRoe
True Blue

Post by SkidRoe »

I have always wondered about these guys, maybe a potential for parts for your project:

https://www.thefordsonhouse.com/

Has anyone dealt with them before?

I have dealt with Duane Helman in Rosewood, OH for F parts in the past. He owns a machine shop and makes some new parts himself.

http://www.rosewoodmachine.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

HTH - SR
Fords: 78 6700 Turbo, 81 TW30, 89 4610 4x4 w/ Frey ldr, 96 7740 SLE 4x4 Past: 72 4000 w/ Allied 660 ldr, 75 5200, 76 9600

georgeford
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by georgeford »

Thanks SkidRoe,....I'll contact Duane. That little wrist pin is the only part I need to rebuild my '22 engine....george

fordsonf25
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fordsonf25 »

I have used Fordson house before. I had to use them again because I did not know about rosewood. I have not had a good experience with fordsonhouse so could not recommend them to anyone unless they were desperate for parts!

First order I spent an absolute fortune. Complete steering, front axle setup. Starting handle kit and many other parts. I had been in contact with them for a while explaining I was putting a 1925 F back to factory spec so needed F parts. I had to give my serial number during check out so I guessed I would get F parts.

What arrived was a load of N parts with N casting numbers. All used and worn out. The axle was so worn out I would not have even got a bush in. When I spoke to them They expected me to have to bush it out!
The complete starting crank was just a bunch of parts and bits needed peening which I have not been able to do or know how!

Some of the parts are very worn out and still have original paint on. The parts or kits they are trying to sell as I think new, are just old parts that have been sand blasted.
I asked for a refund on the axle as it was pretty much beyond its useful life and was given nothing but promises.

The second order I wanted or should I say needed. Valves and valve guides and not knowing any other place to buy them had to order again. Hoping they may have discounted the refund they promised from the payment. You have to give them, your payment details and then they work out postage and take the money without you knowing the full amount and without receiving an email or receipt until it all arrives in the post! Well I never got a discount or my refund. The valves and valve guides were brand new however so cannot grumble on that. The bolts and washers were just new bolts and washers. No original sizes or anything like that which was disappointing considering they are selling parts for vintage tractors.

I honestly cannot recommend the fordson house and it would seem they use and abuse there customer knowing there is no other choice for them. You either buy crap from them or put up with what you already have. They have no other competition from what I know of.

If anyone knows anyone please let me know so I can give them my money.

That is my opinion and experience. They stink :curse:

SkidRoe
True Blue

Post by SkidRoe »

Good to know about Fordson House. They seemed too good to be true...

Any time that I have dealt with Duane, I have always travelled to his place. If you are within driving distance, it is worth the trip!! He has an incredible collection, not just tractors, and is just an all around great guy.

He should be able to fix you up, George. Look forward to seeing your tractor together and running again.

Cheers - SR

georgeford
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by georgeford »

I looked at that Rosewood Machine shop site. They appeared to only have 3 Fordson products - none of which is the wrist pin with bolt cut out. I'll call them tomorrow (Monday)

SkidRoe
True Blue

Post by SkidRoe »

Look at your side menu after you click on the Fordson button, there should be a drop-down that lists some more categories.

That said, the list is only for the parts that they produce. Like you said, you will have to give them a call on your wrist pin.

HTH - SR