Can someone ID this old Fordson tractor please

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Can someone ID this old Fordson tractor please

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Guys

Can someone ID this ol' chap for me please. I took these pictures in January 2008 in the South African Karoo area some 900 km away from where I live. Standing in a childrens park area.

Regards
Mervyn

Last edited by Mervyn Spencer on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hello Mervyn.

This is a Fordson Major E27N in rowcrop version.

According to the drawbar and vaporiser, it is between 1946 and 1950. It is rowcrop due to the adjustable track front axle.

It is has one pre 1946 front wheel on the right hand side and a 1948 onwards left hand front wheel. The rear wheels are not the standard ones.

Strangely it has a dash and a pipe for electro cables and no further electrics or battery tray fitted.

Best regards
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Bensdexta
True Blue

Playground Tractor

Post by Bensdexta »

Mervyn,
That tractor should be restored - You're next project. :wink:
Much too dangerous to have as a kid's toy!
Congrats on getting your images to display!
All the best,
Ben

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Emiel and Ben

Thanks for your explination Emiel, from what you are telling me it certainly is an all spare parts tractor.

It would be a nice restoration project Ben, but is nearly 1000km away and clearly I don't think I could afford to ship it home.

Thanks again for your responses.

Kind regards
Mervyn

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Rick

Thanks for the tip to edit my pics(responded to your email)

Uploading new pics to photo bucket still driving me up the wall, the pics in this thread were uploaded early last year, will just have to keep trying. :x

My appologies to those who had to scroll those extra miles from left to right, promise it should not happen again.

I think Rick is upset with me because the South African cricketers showed up his boys in the first two tests. :wink: Looks like his boys are going to get one back though with the current match. :(
Don't worry Rick I am greatful you were able to help me. :D

Kind regards
Mervyn

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

G'day Mervyn,

I think you might be casting aspersions on me by saying that I might be cranky with you for ANY reason! :eyes: . :nono:

Don't talk to me about the cricket at this stage. You know history has already been made with RSA already winning the series and this game still in the balance. But if we loose this game too, the Clean Sweep loss by the Aussies in Australia, would be the first time in over a hundred and something years! If that happens, I won't talk to you for a whole week! OK? :evil:

Glad I could help with the images. Your post wasn't too much of a problem. I wanted to set you straight while it was fresh in your memory. YOU make an effort to do the right thing and are prepared to learn .... and you have learned well.

I'm pleased you mentioned Photobucket !!!!!!! I haven't used it for some time, so I visited to see what you were talking of with regards to their changes. Whilst it has changed, it is ultimately better I think. The BIG POSITIVE I've noticed is that they have now got the software included to EDIT images, Re-Sizing, Cropping etc. That is brilliant because so many people have digital cameras now but don't know how to resize (dimensions) and reduce quality (files size) to suit hosting on websites and forums etc.
I use GIMP2 myself, which is FREE and equiv to $500 Adobe Photoshop lite. Trouble is, it's probably not for a novice user of computers though.

I'm only too pleased to help where I can. Anyone can just ask. :thumbs:

Unfortunately, right now, I'm suffering the loss of a close friend, cousin and neighbour who passed away overnight. I'm still in shock.

Rick
'
Regards,
Rick

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

I forgot to mention :

If that tractor was here in a park or school etc., that seat would have been gone, gone, gone! They are very popular for making bar stools, outdoor garden seats and even just collectors. Ebay sells heaps (of which most are reproductions).
A seat like that would sell for $25 in a flash.

Rick

ps> can you get it for me? I'll give you 5 bucks. :D
'
Regards,
Rick

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hello Rick

Well your boys' are going to give us carrots in this current match, so hope that makes you feel better. :D

As I mentioned in my earlier post that tractor is nearly 1000km away but it might be interesting to see if who ever owns it would be willing to part with it, the tractor I mean. I estimate now that our fuel price has dropped it could cost something like 2,500 Australian dollars to bring it home. The town where it is situated is in the middle of a semi desert area, quaint but very hot little town.

Let me cast a bait and see what bites I get.

I have no idea why I am battling to upload. Sometimes 3 or 4 % will upload and other times 12 to 15 and then just stops and after a few minutes you get the page unavailable message. I will try using there software to do my cropping and see if that helps. Currently I am using the Paint option.

Kind regards
Mervyn

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Can someone ID this old Fordson Tractor

Post by BarryM »

Mervyn,

The photos supplied give us a few clues to the year of this tractor.

Firstly. It is fitted with the four vertical position drawbar and this arrived in January 1947.

Secondly. The remains of the electrics show the 'kidney dish' electrical box and this was phased out in February/March 1949.

So, I date your tractor at between January 1947 and March 1949.
BarryM

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Barry

Thank you for the additional info. I'd love to own that old beast but to ship it 1000km is not affordable in these times.

Until next time cheers
Mervyn