Splitting the E27N

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
TK
Not Quite Blue Yet

Splitting the E27N

Post by TK »

Emiel,
I have been looking in your album on the pictures of your E27N splittet between the gear box and rear end.

I am going to perform the same operation to replace the oil seal on the output shaft from the gear box due to oil transfer. I have new seals in the PTO box.
Is it as simple as it look to separate the rear end from the gear box flange?
I plan to remove the PTO shaft, and then just remove the flange bolts, after securing the front end, and back end of course.

Do you have the dimensions, or part number for the oil seal?

PS! I can inform you all that my E27N P6 have been out on its first test run after a total engine rebuild and various repairs. It runs well and operates fine, except for the oil escaping from the gear box into the rear end. But that is my fault taking a chance with just replacing the PTO seals. Next after the oil seal is preparing for a spray of blue paint.

Thanks
Regards,
TK

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hello TK,

To split the tractor between rear axle and transmission is quite easy.

1-Drain oil in transmission and rear axle
2-Take PTO shaft out. Do not forget, shaft may bent when the tractor bolts are taken out between rear axle housing and transmission and the shaft is not removed.
3-For easy working and fun, take top cover of rear axle housing.
4-Stabilize front ent of the tractor, which remains in place, and block the pivoting of front axle.
5- Use pallet truck or garage lift or anything safe to support rear axle
6-Unscrew bolts
7-Roll rear end backwards

It is as simple as it looks.

If I were you do not order the seals before you have the old ones out. You never know what to find in a over 60 year old tractor. I had my seals from the dutch salesman for Old20, who had them readily available for acceptable prices. I think the seals are the same as on the standard Major. Your NewHolland dealer should then also be able to supply or any other bearing supply shop. Original PN is E27N-7082

It is a very easy job, but it takes a little time because the parts are really heavy.

Good luck, and curious te your pictures.

Use the opportunity to give the rear axle housing a thourough clean out.

Best regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

TK
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by TK »

Thanks for your description Emiel

Good to know that it is no traps to fall into, just straight forward.
I will let you know how things are going

Cheers
TK

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

TK,

Best of luck fitting your new seals.

Most important is to use the two marked pilot bolts when you refit the Front Trans to the Rear Trans.
BarryM

TK
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by TK »

Here is some pictures of the spliting, and the seal, or lack of seal.
New seal is ordered.

BarryM, I did not notice any difference in the bolts on the gear box to rear end flange, and no guide pins. If I understand you right, two of the bolt is for guiding and aligning the flanges?

Thanks TK

TK
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by TK »

Sirs, update on oil seal

New oil seal fitted, and gearbox topped up with GL1 80-90 gear oil. This is to visually check the oil seals before connecting to the rear end again.

BarryM, I have found the two bolts you mentioned, thanks for your tip, would not have noticed it othervise. Two of the bolts have a tight tolerance, ref picture, and go in the upper left, and lower right hole on the flanges to align them.

For info, the dimensions of the oil seal is 84,14 - 111,12 - 12,7 mm

Thanks for your help, Emiel and BarryM
Regards,
TK

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Splitting the E27N

Post by BarryM »

TK,

I neglected to tell you that there are also Two Pilot Bolts between the Engine and Front Transmission. They are in line with the top holes of the mid-mounted implement pads.
BarryM

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi
While your there it may be a good idea to replace the PTO take off unit seals.
I had a problem with old seals and as you have the oil drained it may be an opportunity.
If you don't then you will find the oil in the gear box drops and the transmission rises!
Drop the PTO unit and hook out the old seals. The originals were leather and had well gone. When putting in the seals if I remember you have to put them back to back. Be gentle as they are steel cups and can distort or bend easily. Peace of mind later!

Jerry
Camerton
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

R W
True Blue

Post by R W »

Oil leaking between the geabox & diff was common in your model Fordson & later models.