Spring exercise

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
CalGG
True Blue

Spring exercise

Post by CalGG »

It was one of those days. The early part was spent stacking cord wood. The load of logs is now completely rearrange into 4 foot lengths. Waiting to be cut in 1/2 and split for fuel to be burned in 2018.

But, that meant getting out the splitter, which was parked behind the Fordson. Both under cover in the lower floor of the barn. I never used the snow plow on the E27n once this winter. there was just no call for it. Walking up to the old gal, I twisted my arm in from the right side to open the fuel tap on my way up to the operator's seat. A tug on the choke handle, three notches out on the throttle. A turn of the starter momentary .... I don't think the crank made two complete revolutions and she lit off. Rich running on choke for 10 seconds clouded the isle with black smoke. It always does, and I sort of like the visual along with audible. Pressing the choke handle full to the fire wall, and she was ticking over smooth as silk. I gave her about a minute (warm day) before stepping on the clutch pedal, releasing the transmission brake, and nudging the gear selector into first. Out we went and up to the drive. The winter had a collection of congealed grit on all the upper surfaces, so a water hose and soft scrub brush were put to work. The paint is peeling in some places, and flakes of blue came loose under the action of water and brush. She looks so much nicer when clean.

The PTO was engaged, the upper PTO for the hydraulics was put in, even the flat belt pulley drive was activated. Then we went for a short drive. Half mile out, then back.
Calorimeter showed 165F with the blind 1/4 down. She pulled off a bit sluggishly in high the first time, but on the turn around, the governor, cleared out carb with "fresh"fuel, and a warm engine, had us pulling away smartly.

Returning to the drive, I left the e27n at idle and moved out the splitter and another piece of equipment. Then, the Fordson was brought down and had the snow plow dropped off in the side yard before backing into the equipment aisle. The fuel tap was closed, the electrical switch returned to off, and I walked away like a hundred times before. knowing the engine would die when the fuel ran out. Ready for the next time.

PS
boy did those brake drums hammer when the friction shoes hit the winter's growth of rust. They were dragged a bit to clear them and get a softer feel.

All is well.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Spring exercise

Post by Brian »

Great story. :clap:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

CalGG
True Blue

Re: Spring exercise

Post by CalGG »

You know, she just doesn't get as much chance to show her stuff as she did when she was the only tractor on the place. Now with the attractive and agile Italian (SL&H, Hurlimann) to call out for chores, it seems like I need to find special music to get her out dancing. Plus, for myself, the climb up to the operator's seat keeps getting higher and more tricky.