fordson n tyres

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
womble
Not Quite Blue Yet

fordson n tyres

Post by womble »

morning all i am new to this forum.
i have to remove a pair of tyres from the rear wheels of my 'n' and am wondering if there is a special way to do this as they have been on there for a long time and the wheels are cast so i don't really want to go in with a bead breaker and sledge hammer.any advice please ?

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: fordson n tyres

Post by oehrick »

Hello & welcome

I have started going round with a (blunt) brickies bolster chisel & lump hammer to break the beads then follow with sacrificial hard oak wedges about 1:8 ish taper knocked sideways - { I'm as tight as they usually are so make my own lubricant by saving old soap bit and grating them & shaking up with warm water in a bottle, this weather is great, just leave the bottle in the back of the car and let the road do the shaking :D (this also doubles as first in the rad if there is a cooland leak BTW)}

The biggest problem is generally collapsing them both into the well, given the weight, probably best to leave the wheel on the tractor and work around it with some real tyre levers.

Others may have other methods, thanfully my industrial standard has long gone - major wheels are heavy enough these days.

Always worth a search into previous threads as this has probably been covered in the past.

Best of luck with it
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

womble
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: fordson n tyres

Post by womble »

oehrick thanks for the advice,both wheels are off the tractor but i do have access to a loader so can at least move the wheels around a bit.
i will be having a go at getting the old tyres off very soon.