How much does a front end loader weigh? Back hoe weight?

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Oughtsix
Not Quite Blue Yet

How much does a front end loader weigh? Back hoe weight?

Post by Oughtsix »

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a Major with a front end loader, a back hoe and a bad engine. According to the current owner the engine on the Major has a bad main bearing. I already have a 50's Major that I am working on rebuilding the engine. I would love to have a front end loader and an extra Major and back hoe would be a bonus.

Here is the tractor I am looking at:

Asking price is $1500. Talking to the seller on the phone he volunteered to come down to $1300.

I am new to tractors. I know my Major is fricken heavy! How heavy is the front end loader? How heavy is the back hoe? I am worried about getting it loaded on a trailer and I am worried about moving it around when I get it home. I am also worried about removing the loader so I can work on the engine or move the loader to my other Major. Can 2 guys muscle a front end loader?

Any information on this loader or back hoe would be appreciated? The current owner had this tractor for a year when it lost power and came to a stop. He said he removed the oil pan and there was a pretty good groove in the crank shaft from the bad bearing. He said that the loader and hoe were original Fordson's... he also said it was a mid 70's tractor. :-)

blackbob
True Blue

Re: How much does a front end loader weigh? Back hoe weight

Post by blackbob »

:wink: You're in the wrong section here really, your tractor(s) belong in the 'New Major' category.

I'm a bit doubtful 2 guys would lift that loader unless you are some kinda gorilla, how about lifting the loader right up in the air then propping it somehow, if you need to get the engine out? That's how I did it here, on a '64 JCB which is built around a Super Major engine/transmission:

I would guess that machine as a whole might be somewhere around 5 tonnes, the backhoe would be the heavy bit. From here it looks like the loader Ford sold here built on a 4000 in the late 1960's/early 70's as a backhoe loader, which they called the 13/6?

PS I see you're in Oregon.. It isn't someone called Dave selling it, is it? Does it start? :twisted:
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

Oughtsix
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Oughtsix »

I forget the gentelmans name... but it is a pretty distinctive tractor so it is probably the one you saw on craigslist. :-)

It does not start so moving it will be a winch operation. I was thinking that we might be able to move the loader if we took the bucket off first. but you are probably right, it will be a bear to work with. He said the loader was pretty tight but the hoe was pretty sloppy, a lot of play in it.

I think I need a tractor with a loader on it to move the loader on that tractor. :beer:

Thank you for the tip on the 13/6! I found a couple references on google... it does look very simular... but I haven't found much information on it yet. I don't know what information I expect to find but it would be nice to have some kind of reference.

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

:D :D
You maybe didn't see this thread - he's in Oregon too, you're bound to have met him :wink: http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... 123#p49458
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.