still wiring the E27N

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
hemiorange
Not Quite Blue Yet

still wiring the E27N

Post by hemiorange »

I am to the headlight stage now. The owners manual wiring diagram shows a ground wire from the side light and headlight sockets to the headlight body. I cannot find a place to attach that ground wire. Did it come outside the lamp and attach to the mounting bolt, all the way back to the dash??? One of my tractors had a multilayer copper strip for a ground strap instead of a braided cable, is that original? Thanks for any help, will post pics when it is done.

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi,

As far as I can tell from the small amount of wiring I have left, the ground wire comes out of the headlight and is attached to an eye terminal with a 1/4 inch hole in it. This in turn gets bolted to the side of the radiator on one of the small holes towards the rear of the top radiator tank, based on the length of wire on my headlight which is about 26 inches long from the bottom of the headlight. Barry M would probably know for sure.

As for the ground strap, I have no idea. My E27N had no battery on it when I was 16 years old and I would need all my fingers and toes as well as most of somebody else's to count how many years ago that was.

Regards, Frank.

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

still wiring the E27N

Post by BarryM »

Hi Guys,
The earth wire for the headlights attaches to the headlight globe socket (not the parking light). The earth wire is 39" long and attaches to the rear hole in the radiator top tank. This wire is about 10" or so longer, as it has further to travel.

Regards the battery earth lead. Yes, the original lead was made up of 8 separate metal leaves. Terminal soldered at one end and the other end was drilled for a bolt to go through. This lead was approx. 18" long.
BarryM