Bonnet

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Ian
True Blue

Bonnet

Post by Ian »

I've got a friend thats very good with metal work. He repaired our front cowl for me and did a great job. The bonnet on our tractor, the tin work is straight, but the hinge has totally rusted and partially come apart. It doesn't even remotely sit right on the tractor. Looks more like seagul wings lol. Anyway he said if I could get the really long pin out that holds the 2 parts together he would repair the hinge for me. However .. I can't get the damn thing out and I've been trying for weeks. Any tips ? :)

TOH
True Blue

Post by TOH »

The hinge was rusted on my Major too but it was not damaged, just stuck. The bonnet looked also like seagul wings as you described. I took the old pin out and replaced it with a new one. It required quite a bit of brute force to drive it out. I started by hitting the end of the hinge pin by another pin to drive it out. There is the danger of flattening the end of the pin and widening it thus getting it even more stuck so be careful. If you grind the pin end a bit thinner first it wont get stuck so easily even if it becomes flattened. I recommend soaking it first with penetrating oil. Heating might work also. When the pin is out a little you can form a hook into the other end and attach a slide hammer to pull it out. Or perhaps it is possible to weld a hook into it?

Timo