Fuel lift pump leak

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
TOH
True Blue

Fuel lift pump leak

Post by TOH »

My -55 Major fuel lift pump is leaking diesel somewhere in the priming lever area. I think it comes from where the lever axle goes through the body of the pump. So far I haven't noticed any fuel in the engine oil.

My question is would a fuel pump repair kit work in this case or do I need to get a new pump? I know that a new pump wouldn't cost that much but it would be nice to retain the original part.

Timo

devondom
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by devondom »

Hi

I recently used a repair kit on my lift pump in order to keep
the part original and all worked fine. The leak came from a torn diaphram. You need to make sure the new diaphram is fitted properly by twisting it 90 degrees otherwise it may slip out
when the tractor runs, as mine did!

Dominic

TOH
True Blue

Post by TOH »

I'll probably buy the repair kit then. I was just wondering if some parts could be worn too much in which case the gasket kit wouldn't help.

Thanks for the tip. I'm not entirely sure what you meant by twisting the diaphragm 90 degrees but it'll probably become clear when I have the parts in front of me.

Timo

devondom
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by devondom »

I think that the only worn parts not included in the repair kit
is the receiver for the diaphram bar and two springs. The diaphram has a slotted bar attached and this needs to be inserted into the bit that sits on the cam in the engine and twisted 90 degrees. The diaphram has a tab that should be alligned
and pushed in on left side then twisted right until it is engaged.
Sometimes the receiver is a bit worn out with a big hole at which point you need a new pump. The springs are fairly simple to
make-up to replace.

Dominic

TOH
True Blue

Post by TOH »

OK. Thanks for the further confirmation. I'll let you know when I get the leak fixed.

Timo

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

I had a similar problem, ours was leaking diesel, so I just replaced the whole unit. Wasn't terribly expensive.