Going to look at a major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Dexydog64
Not Quite Blue Yet

Going to look at a major

Post by Dexydog64 »

Hi Folks.Been toying with the idea of owning an older tractor for a while now, and decided on either a Major or Dexta ( Good parts availability etc) and so I am going to have a look at a major on Thursday 29th March, Seller thinks it may be a 1955/56 model. Tractor engine will be running but the tractor has not moved for over 12 months and the brakes and possibly the clutch have siezed. Are there any other things I should look out for. I am new to the world of owning an old tractor, drove old massey 135 and 165 as a kid but that was 40 years ago. I have a mechanical background but not in the field of tractors or hydraulics. Any info would be great. Thanks

Pavel
True Blue

Re: Going to look at a major

Post by Pavel »

If you type "Buying a Major" in the search box on the top right side of your screen, and click on it, you will have access to 30 posts concerning the subject dated during 2010,2011 & 2012
Pavel

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

where u put the engine oil in the top, check the colour of the oil in there. If its all white, it's probably leaking water into the engine.

Dexydog64
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dexydog64 »

Went to see major last night. Casting numbers etc all about the same X6N , X8N , X12N . If I am right in my working out the codes I came up with the date of 6th to the 12th of November 1955. serial number seemed to start with 133 Which also tied tractor to 1955. The only problem that the seller left out the small detail that all of the 3point linkage had been removed including lift arms, and that although hydraulics were in working order 4 years ago they had not been used since. PTO lever is siezed solid on linkage (can move rod sticking out of PTO box slightly) . Question is How much will it cost to replace all parts associated with the 3 point linkage? and is there a drawing available so that I can identify all the bits needed.

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Look at this http://people.zeelandnet.nl/hmdetroije than click on technical data, at the bottom on hitch parts.

New parts can be bought at a lot of suppliers. Look there for prices. It won't be cheap to replace the lot.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

nzMark
True Blue

Post by nzMark »

Hi Dexydog64, if you dont want new parts i could source everything you need here in nz and send over but in exchange i would want a raised pto for a 58 power major if you can find one? plenty of majors been wrecked here. i cjust havnt been able to aquire a raised pto unit. Mark