3 point Hitch parts needed.

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Robbie
Not Quite Blue Yet

3 point Hitch parts needed.

Post by Robbie »

Hi,

I have a Fordson new preformence SM, or a "all spare parts" Fordson but the rear end is a new preformance super major.
The thing is that all the components that make the 3 point hitch are gone. So I need a complete set of lower lift arms, top link and so on but I dont realy know what to buy or look for.

What I want to do with the tractor is to use a wood chipper and a sort of backloader to lift some horse sh*t.
So I think I dont need a levelingbox but I do need two lower lift arms, a top link, lift link's (?) and maybe some chains to keep everything in its place.

My questions are:
Can I buy some random or universal lower lift arms and if so, of what length ?
What lenght shoold the top link be?
How long are the links between the lift arms and the lower lift arms?

Any help would be great, where can I buy these things, do I forget stuff, can I use a other brand as long as it is the same lenght and category and so on.

Many thanks in advance,
Rob.

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: 3 point Hitch parts needed.

Post by henk »

Robbie,

Go to http://people.zeelandnet.nl/hmdetroije Choose technical data, push the button Hitch parts. There's all you need to know.

Most parts can be bought new these days, but it's just what you want to spend on it. There’s always the second hand market, but you have to look and be patient.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

A word of caution, if you are missing the draft control linkage (expensive and rare, unique to N>P super) I would advise against connecting the top link straight to the casting that operates the draft control plunger, this will break pretty quickly as the material is very thin.
Lower arms can be used from any major, you can get away with drop arms from diesel/power majors but the levelling box handle often fouls the rear wings. Super major rear linkage in good order is now getting rarer and more expensive.
There should be check chains which go from lift arms to cast brackets under the axle trumpets (held on by same bolts as hold on rear wings)
Without these parts you wont be using the 3pt hitch. Have you got the top arms as the splines often wear on these.
Regards
Ed

Robbie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Robbie »

@Henk,
This a nice site with clear pitures and good info however, it does not give the lenght of the lower link arms. If I buy some arms of whatever brand it might be good to know the maximum and minimum that fit on the tractor. At least I know now how they look like :lol:

@Roadless63
Thanks for the warning of the controll linkage because it is gone and I thought about hooking up the toplink there. (would not have done that, there is a better point but it crossed my mind)
So I can use the arms of any major, thats great because I can find most of it on the internet. It will be expensive :cry:

When I am done with this tractor Ill take it appart and sell the parts, after that I can buy a brand new JD.

Rob.

halloween
True Blue

Post by halloween »

Robbie wrote:
When I am done with this tractor Ill take it appart and sell the parts, after that I can buy a brand new JD.
'Lily' 1959 Fordson Power Major

henk

Post by henk »

:scratchhead:
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Robbie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Robbie »

Just kidding but some of the parts are expensive!

I do have the lower links and will order the rest.

Regards,
Rob.