Busy weekend for the Super

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Fixersteve
True Blue

Busy weekend for the Super

Post by Fixersteve »

Well guys ive had a busy weekend reseeding one of our grass fields.

Untitled by fixersteve, on Flickr

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Re: Busy weekend for the Super

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Steve

Your field looks nice and flat - you could play billiards on it! Forgive my ignorance, as I have only done ploughing, sub-soiling and power-harrowing so far, but are you chain harrowing in the same pass as you spin the grass seed? Seems sensible if you are.

How's your oil pressure when the engine gets up to working temp and has been there for an hour or so? Does it drop a couple of psi, as one would expect? Any other observations on your overhaul? I expect everything is nicely bedded in now.

Best

Adrian :thumbs:

Fixersteve
True Blue

Post by Fixersteve »

Afternoon Adrian, Thanks for your comments :D Yep im towing chain harrows behind the spinner so that it covers the grass seed and also takes out the wheel tracks. Its ideal because the spinner can only spread the see the width of the tractor because the seed is so light.

As for the oil pressure it starts off around 50psi and drops to around 46psi after acouple hours working. Have got a few oil leaks which you might be able to help me with. it apears to be coming from the rubber inserts where the injector pipes go into the head, could this be possible? As i get oil staines on this side and oil pooling on the flat area infront of the injection pump.

Just got a new hydraulic control valve aswell so will fit that hopefully this week.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Steve

Thanks for the insights into grass seeding. I did the preparation for a meadow a few weeks back, but I didn't do the seeding part of the operation.

Re the leaks, there's a knack to getting the rubber injector seals to work. Unfortunately I haven't got it! :cry: Mine leaked too! I had to remove the injectors and reseat the seals with some mastic. Seems to be working so far, but I keep looking at them with a nervous tic in my eye because I get the feeling that when I turn my back they're going to leak again!

Your oil pressure is perfect and it tells you that you did a perfect job. :clap:

From now on, every time you walk by it, your tractor is going to be champing at the bit, eager for the next job!

Best

Adrian :thumbs:

Fixersteve
True Blue

Post by Fixersteve »

Cheers Adrian, When ive got the major in the workshop this weekend doing the hydraulic control valve i will put some gasket sealant on those inserts.

If you hear of any 16.9x30 or 16.9x34 rear wheels up for sale, could you point them my way. In desperate need of rear tyres.

Fixersteve
True Blue

Post by Fixersteve »

Cheers Adrian, When ive got the major in the workshop this weekend doing the hydraulic control valve i will put some gasket sealant on those inserts.

If you hear of any 16.9x30 or 16.9x34 rear wheels up for sale, could you point them my way. In desperate need of rear tyres.

Mjg1705
True Blue

Post by Mjg1705 »

Hi Steve - random question - what did you di with the old rear wheels the super came with ?! Have you still got them ?!

Regards:mike
1963 fordson new performance super major. And An array or fordson parts and pieces !

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

What a pleasure, Steve, to see a FMD with pristine paintwork doing some work instead of being cosseted in an enclosure waiting only for the next show; you must be proud of it and yourself!
From your clothes and the sky it would appear to be perfect weather for work on the land. I do wonder, though, about your use of chain harrows as apposed to spiked ones. In my experience chains do not obliterate the effects of wheel pressure as well as the spikes and leave germination of seed somewhat less robust as well as more prone to bird scavenging.

Pavel

Fixersteve
True Blue

Post by Fixersteve »

Hi Pavel, Yep im pretty proud of myself and she will be busy again soon as we are reving up for hay making in the next couple weeks. So she will be mowing, tedding, and baling!

The harrows are spiked ones but linked to gether link a conventional chain harrows, so they do go in around 20-30mm so will break some of the ground compaction.

Fixersteve
True Blue

Post by Fixersteve »

Hi Mike, I have still got the wheels that came of her they are out the back of the workshop.

Cheers
Steve