Dynamo to Alternator Conversion

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Ambidextarous
True Blue

Dynamo to Alternator Conversion

Post by Ambidextarous »

Is there a topic on here about changing to an alternator? The Dynamo on my spare SM is only fifteen amps,the one on the New Performance won't fit [ too big ]and the one I took off to be fixed because it stopped charging is still at the menders after four weeks, they're trying to get recon innards for it.I recall getting a sixty amp alternator for the Dexta,would this fit with a bit of fettling and re polarising? I know I can get Chinese or Indian dynamos, but they're not worth a quid,apparently.

Pavel
True Blue

Re: Dynamo to Alternator Conversion

Post by Pavel »

Have a look at posts on October 1st. 2014 and Nov 2nd. 2014.
As also mentioned get a Lucas or Bosch internally regulated one. A good second hand one could be obtained from a wreckers.

Pavel

Ambidextarous
True Blue

Post by Ambidextarous »

Thank you, Pavel, much appreciated.

oldblue2
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by oldblue2 »

I have installed a single wire G.M delco 60 amp alternator ( same one they sell for the 8N conversions ) on mine . As for the pivot point on the bottom of the alternator , I had to grind that down just a wee bit . I had to change the pulley on it to accommodate the wider drive belt , but that was easily had . I used a after market I believe Mr. Gasket 14 " adjuster to set the belt tension . Made two rear support brackets to stabilize it . I stilll use the factory belt . :beer: