Diesel Pump

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
billy
True Blue

Diesel Pump

Post by billy »

Hiya,

On my early 50s fordson major I believe I have a pneumatic governor. From speaking to a farmer down the road, he reckons that it needs oiling. I've looked online and there has been mixed information about this. Also the service book doesn't include anything about the oiling.

Another problem I seem to be having with the pump, is that the excess fuel for starting will not dis-engage on its own. Has anyone got any ideas or will this need to be sent off to the diesel shop??!?!

Thanks

Billy

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Diesel Pump

Post by Brian »

Well, Ford Motor Company and Simms say the pump only needs oil if left on the shelf for a long period, but hey, what would they know! :cry:

The spring in the excess fuel device is possibly faulty. You can take this off without too much trouble by taking out the four screws on the housing. It may be a bit of a fiddle to get it back. I found a new one for my Super so they are about.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

billy
True Blue

Post by billy »

Cheers Brian!

I believe the tractor was sat for a few years, however I have had it running, so I assume the diesel then lubricates it??!

Is it easier to take the plate off with the pump on the bench or will it be okay with it still on the pump?

Thanks

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Yes, diesel lubricates, its full name is diesel oil. However if you have a tractor that has been not run for a few years, put a pint of Automatic Transmission Fluid in the tank as this will clean the fuel system and add a bit more lubrication.

It is not a plate on the pump it is the stop control housing at the rear, it is fairly easy to get off with the pump in position and all you will need to service is in the part you take off.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

billy
True Blue

Post by billy »

Nice! Thank you Brian!!

I will try the oil in the tank. I'll keep that in mind for the future as well.

Yeah, at the back of the pump. My manual does have a cross sectional view of this as well.

Just as a side note Brian, do you think it is worth me making a thread about the restoration of my tractor on the forum? Or are people not really interested??

Many Thanks

Billy

58vintage
True Blue

Post by 58vintage »

We were an agent for these fuel systems as well as many others. Your farmer up the road was probably referring to the practice of adding a very small amount of light weight oil to the governor to keep the seal supple and stop it from cracking. This was only done on the ones with a Leather governor. It wasn't advised as if you put to much in it would either affect the operation of the governor or if it bypassed the seal it could be sucked through and the engine run on the oil.