need some advice!

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
billy
True Blue

need some advice!

Post by billy »

Hello all,

Another post on here...

I have just ran the tractor again after a couple of months, I have been looking around her and checking all that I could... that was until I found a lot of oil almost pouring out the front crank seal, also the dipstick is rather hard to keep into due to the pressure in the sump!! And yeah its running rough...a bit of blue smoke.

I think its the pistons rings, but being young (only 19) and lacking in the experience I desperately need, I just seek a little bit of reassurance, before I start the engine rebuild.

Cheers

Billy

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: need some advice!

Post by oehrick »

Is it blowing hard at the breather too Billy ? (rad side of injector pump - mind knuckles in fan blades if checking when running)

If not a clean out here might save on some oil loss elsewhere, also have you got anywhere that you could hang a plough or stubble break with a heavy cultivator ? a bit of hard work will often settle the rings back in - blue smoke is normal to some extent, lack of use makes parts vendor more wealthy than they might otherwise be.

What part of the world are you in ? there might be someone near who could help with a second opinion, if not a you tube video would at least give us an isea of what you are up against.

We were all young once and keeping an eye on 'what them old boys say & do' (not always the same) is an essential part of the learning curve, then, far too soon, you realise most of TOB's are gone and we've taken their place ;)

I try to keep my other half placated each time some old heap of cr&p follows me home with 'we have to have three lifetimes worth of projects, then there's an auction and you have a pension fund' it mostly works, sometimes, others stuff creeps home after dark :yikes:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

billy
True Blue

Post by billy »

Hiya,

The Fordson is early, 1952 I think. I don't think there is a breather on the there. I didn't think the early one had one?

It doesn't run well enough to work hard (I don't think) its seems to be very knocky as well.
Ive checked the running with the oil cap off and place my hand over it, there is no suction at all, and it doesn't change the running lf the tractor.

Ive spoken to a friend who is a mechanic , but only over the phone, he has also hinted it probably is the rings.
Another thing, there isn't much oil reaching the rockers, I think I may have a few oil galleries clogged up. When I bought the tractor nearly a year ago (wow) :cry: the oil in the sump was, erm, a bit like turned milk, rather a lot of lumps, I did pour a diesel petrol mix down through the top but I don't thing this has cleared it all.

I think there is a couple of things that would lead to a engine rebuild.

One day, I will be able to just know and crack on...

Oh I'm in the uk!!

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hello Billy
Sorry to have to deliver this news, but your engine needs a rebuild asap.
After sixty years it's to be expected really.
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

billy
True Blue

Post by billy »

Yeah, I think so!!

The engine is almost off all ready! Only three works work with a mate!!

The strip down will start after lunch! :D

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Now had you mentioned the other issues............

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction, and having someone to help is a blessing too

Hope all goes well :)
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

billy
True Blue

Post by billy »

Hiya chaps,

Well the head is off! Which now leads me to think of a few things.

Firstly, the number on piston is wet, its oil, I've checked the gasket, although it is not broken up there looks like oil has been seeping into the cylinder.

Next, the piston rings must have gone, there was an oil drip in one of the cylinders, and as I was turning the engine over b hand, the rings were not wiping it away!

Now, I believe the liners should stick out the block. On mine there is just a few bits of rust... so new liners too?!

So far that's all I've got, the weather has lead me to doing other repairs about the place, but, now I will begin diving deeper, by tonight I'm wanting the pistons out!

billy
True Blue

Post by billy »

ive bought the engine rebuild kit from agriline! is there anything that I need that isn't included.

oh, and I don't really understand the different head gaskets, I have removed a copper gasket, and in the kit there is a fibre one, should I stick with the fibre one??

billy
True Blue

Post by billy »

the liners are a bit aged?!

maybe its needed a rebuild for a while...

the oil I'm fighting to get rid off.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Hi Billy - Yuk

If you mix paraffin and a decent detergent (like Fairy liquid) together at about 2:1 ratio this makes a homemade equivalent of Gunk or Jizer the commercial de greasers - scrape out what you can then splash your brew all over, stipple in with a stiff brush and leave for an hour or two then spray off with water, pressure washer if you have it, hose with a small nozzle if not - catch what you can as its now illegal to let it run off or down the drain (some bits of cardboard box floated on the top will absorb the oil and then be used as firelighters, the de oiled water you can let go)

A bit of heat helps and a steam cleaner would be ideal if you could find someone nearby with one.

Its a messy job
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

billy
True Blue

Post by billy »

Cheers, ill keep that in mind :D hopefully the pressure washer will help! If not I know a man with a petrol pressure washer that might be even better!!

Well back to asking questions again...I have finally got the pistons out and now have the crank off, but... here's were I have got confused, all the timing gears are off and and the front plate, so I thought it was going well, but, the cam shaft has cause problems. I rotated the camshaft through the frond of the engine (where the gear bolts on) and a couple of bits of metal fell out, then the shaft can be pushed in and out the block. I assume this I she thrust washer, but they are not horseshoe shaped. It is basically a thick washer that has been cut in half. So I would guess that it works like a thrust washer, just you need to put both halves in. Also one of the halves has broken up.
Ive looked on aigrline, and nothing even similar is on there!

Help!! :cry:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Someone was looking for one a few weeks ago and new ones were being sold on E-Bay.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

billy
True Blue

Post by billy »

Thanks Brian, much appreciated, I'll have a look in a minute!

another question for a task that needs to be done, the liners are past it, so what is the best way at getting them out? I think they come out the top, but what's the best way, I've got a gurt press that would probably do it, but will they knock out with a hammer. How tight is the fit??