fordson e1adkn 1953

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
scarecrow
Not Quite Blue Yet

fordson e1adkn 1953

Post by scarecrow »

hello there
I recently acquired a fordson e1a dkn major from a friend. it is perfect in all ways but one
after it has been running for a long time & switched to TVO it will start to misfire. it is up to working temperature all fuel lines are clear
it has had new points/plugs/leads /caps/condenser.

I notice it has no adjustable main jet in the carb like my E27N just a brass plug ,could the carb be off a petrol engine like ford et6 truck

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: fordson e1adkn 1953

Post by Brian »

Where did you get a new distributer cap? Some of us have been trying for years with no luck.

Try just pulling the choke out a bit when she misfires, I have found with mine, over the years, that the choke cable sets the butterfly and if this is fully open it can cause a misfire.

What blend of TVO are you using? I have run Henrietta on all types of mix including pure diesel, I am using 25% petrol 75% Kerosene plus two pints of Automatic Transmission Fluid every third fill up. Henrietta starts straight up without petrol on most mixes with the exception of pure diesel.

Most of us who have owned one of these for some time find the modern plugs are not always the best. I am running NGK B6ES or Champion N21 at the moment but prefer the NGK ones. A number of these tractors seem to run cold on No.1 cylinder and will oil the plug. Even with new rings and valves Henrietta does this when on light work so I have made a "Spark Booster" from a old piece of circuit board I had in the workshop and this has sorted the problem. Some modern plugs have an in-built resistor which breaks down when used on these engines.

Are you using copper cored plug wire? The modern carbon cored variety does not work well on these engines.

Check your manifold for air leaks, looseness or blown gaskets. Two types of gasket were used, a steel faced fibre one or a pure copper one. The pure copper ones is the best as it allows a greater transfer of heat from the engine to the manifold. Beware of cracks in the manifold, new ones are not available, second hand ones may be cracked and go for stupid prices. One local owner paid £1000.00 for a good one a couple of years ago. Cracked ones cannot usually be welded, the metal becomes crystallized and a rod just goes straight through. These manifolds and exhausts run hotter than the E27N, they glow at night when working and about 4" of blue flame can be seen out of the top of the pipe when working in the dusk, if she is running nicely.

There are no adjustments on the carb jet. See my comment on the choke cable/butterfly setting.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

scarecrow
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by scarecrow »

Hello brian
Sorry to mislead you, I meant plug lead caps, they tell me distributor caps are a bit scarce, I run all my tvo tractors on 1/4 petrol 3/4 heating oil & a pint of engine oil.
I haven't had time to play with tractors today but will tomorrow & will try your suggestion although she doesn't like a lot of choke
The vapourizer is in very good order, I read that these are also in short supply
if someone at my end ( usually a ten year old) will show me how to put a picture on this thing I will show you

scarecrow
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by scarecrow »

hello brian
finally got round to playing with the major . put NGK plugs in and run her with a bit of choke
and she runs like a fifty guinea watch
thanks for your help