Clutch Super Major wont loose

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Robbie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Clutch Super Major wont loose

Post by Robbie »

Hi,

I have not been active on this forum for some years as my ASP Super Major did not malfunction. But today after pushing back some dirt the clutch stopped working.
I was working with the lift arms and had no gear in. Then I wanted to put it in to first gear but all that happend was a lot of grinding. When I start the enging with the cluch fully down, the clutch does release and I am able to put it into gear and PTO but after that I'll have to stop the engine and start over again.

It is a single clutch, when operated it works on the pto and gear at the same time. I have waited long enough for all the parts to stop when I press the clutch but the grinding does not stop and I cant get it into gear or PTO.

My question is if anyone knows whats causing this and what I can do about it.

Regards,
Rob.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Re: Clutch Super Major wont loose

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

The clutch has failed. Only by splitting the tractor will you find out how.
My best guess is that the thrust bearing has broken up.
Good luck.
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

Robbie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Robbie »

Thanks Adrian,

I have found a oldtimer tractor club near where i live and I hope they can assess the damage once the tractor is split. I have seen some youtube films on how to do that, not sure if i dare to do it but I dont have a choice if I want to use the tractor again.

Most of them use a jack on wheels under the engine and the roll the engine and front wheels away from the rear, any idea if a 2000kg jack would be sufficient?

Regards,
Rob.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Robbie
Jack on wheels/pallet jack with wooden blocks perfect for the job.
Splitting a tractor may seem a bit radical, but imagine trying to get at the clutch in your car. Much easier process with your Major.
Your friends will guide you.
When the tractor is split, you'll have free access.
If the thrust (release) bearing has broken up, it will have chewed up the the ends of the clutch fingers, meaning new clutch assembly will be required. No problem, though, as all parts are available.
While you're in there, makes sense to replace the pilot bearing in the flywheel hub.
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Sorry chaps, I would NEVER use a trolley jack under the engine to split the tractor. I have seen what happens when the jacks little wheels stop and the engine keeps moving. You are far better to use an engine crane, loader or forklift and lift from the top using a sling chain. If you have a cradle on the jack to hold the sump it will help but will still be unstable even with the axle blocked as the jack has a narrow wheel base.

The best farm splitting trolley is a hand operated fork lift and pallets. I have used one to split 6600's with ease.

Just my Humble Opinion formed after picking up the pieces when "farm mechanics" tried the same idea back in the day.

Make sure you remove the two backward facing bolts under the side channels before trying to split.

Could be you will find a broken clutch link in the pressure plate. My father had the same thing happen with a sprayer full of water as he backed up to an old air raid shelter on North Pickenham aerodrome. What is know locally as a large "pucker moment". The tractor was standing on her nose before he got the stop pulled.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Robbie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Robbie »

Hi,

I could not log on for a while after I updated my email adres and my account got blocked.

Thanks for the tips and I will use a pallet lift when I split the tracktor, the reason I wanted a trolly jack is that they are cheap and I can use it for other things as well once I am finished with the clutch. A fork lift is somewhat difficult to get my hands on but Ill search for one. Hope to get started in two or three weeks.

Regards,
Rob.