What Is This Screw For?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

What Is This Screw For?

Post by JC »

Its on the top of my Minimec governor housing. You would think that I would know what it does, since I just had the governor apart, but I didn't pay any attention to it. They seem to only be on Minimecs on Fordsons. Diagrams of other Minimecs don't show it. If no one knows, I'll find out when I take the governor apart again to replace the spring.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: What Is This Screw For?

Post by oehrick »

Shame it's not April 1st or I would tell you it is to adjust the Flunging valve tremulator spring ;) but without the smiley !

Unfortunately the workshop manual is not very helpful with the pumps - I expect they had enough problems caused by the unknowing tinkering with the throttle bellows bias spring and fuel boost settings on the earlier vacuum governed pumps................
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

SvendH
True Blue

Post by SvendH »

jc
that is the max-fuel injection stop screw.(Fuel-Index screw)
When the new tractor was delivered that screw was set so the pump would deliver just enough diesel to allow the new engine to make the promised horsepower at max torque-revs (about 1600). It was fitted with a lead seal which if tampered with by costomer/owner would void the warrentee!
screw out=more fuel,screw in=less fuel.Giving it too much will produce much smoke under load and possibly overheat the engine+ overload bearings!
What spring are you replacing?...just curious :)

JC

Post by JC »

Thanks Svend! The top of the screw was broken off and I was wondering what it was for. It looks like it shouldn't be screwed in that far. Its so far down inside the lock nut that there would be no room for the lock wire and lead seal. I'm having trouble with the governor. It won't increase the fuel when the engine is put under load. The rest of the pump is working fine, so I don't want to take it to a shop. I replaced the governor weights and carrier, the thrust pad and bearing, and the cam bearing on the governor end. The main governor spring was out of stock when I bought the other parts, so I will replace it when they send me one.

SvendH
True Blue

Post by SvendH »

Make sure the stop leaver device is funktioning before you test it "live" !!

JC

Post by JC »

Don’t worry, I will! I usually have the intake hose disconnected and a plate ready to put over the intake.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

So I was right ;)

You can see it has broken at the cross hole through which the wire that was lead sealed went through, so given that the locknut looks to be a turn or so undone the screw will be pretty well in (compared to the one at the back end of the older pump unit (which IIRC screw in to restrict the rack movement and hence fuel flow and is over ridden by the cold start button)
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

JC

Post by JC »

oehrick wrote:it is to adjust the Flunging valve tremulator spring ;)
You were absolutely correct, Rick!

I don't think the screw on vacuum-governed pump serves the same purpose. I think it's basically a buffer screw.

JC

Post by JC »

I don't think the screw on vacuum-governed pump serves the same purpose. I think it's basically a buffer screw.
I see what you are talking about now. Not the damping valve screw, but the one on the other end of the pump!

SvendH
True Blue

Post by SvendH »

How do you people post pics,is PHb the only alternative :?:

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

@JC yes, left hand as you face the pump is what I've known as the max boost adjustment which controls the maximum travel of the rack (but is over ridden by the cold start which allows full travel of the rack) and the screw on the right hand end controls the minimum revs rack position, the engine stop lever over rides this setting (the product of vacuum on the bellows and spring force) to cut fuel altogether - at least that's my understanding - probably folks on here who know chapter and verse and will hopefully expand on this or correct if understanding varies from reality :)

@Svend I have used https://postimages.org/ which IS currently free without intrusive results of sign up, after Photo*it and their sneaky treatment of users, how permanent or free the service will remain is anyones guess, remember that on the internet, IF IT IS FREE, YOU OR YOUR DATA ARE THE PROFIT MAKING PRODUCT :(
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

SvendH
True Blue

Post by SvendH »

Thanks JC,il give it a go.

JC

Post by JC »

Svend, I just paid for a subscription to Image Shack. I think it was about $30 for two years. I'd rather pay for one, than depend on a free one, as long as its not too expensive.

Rick, The screw on the right end of the pump adjusts the damping valve. It can be adjusted to let a little air in to take the "hunt" out of the governor. The low idle speed is adjusted by the screw on the butterfly on the intake manifold. I know a little bit about these pumps, unlike the Minimec!

JC

Post by JC »

I'm having trouble with the governor. It won't increase the fuel when the engine is put under load.
I had already diagnosed the problem, I just didn't know it at the time. Thanks again SvendH for telling me where the fuel index screw is. We used to call those the "smoke screw" on the old Ford/International 6.9 and 7.3 diesels. The governor was working like it should, but it couldn't move the rack far enough, because the index screw was threaded in too far. I backed it out 2 turns and the governor works now.
Now I have a few more questions. Does anyone have a picture of a properly adjusted index screw on their Minimec pump? How much does a Super Major with a Minimec smoke under load? Mine doesn't smoke at all now. Are they about the same as a vacuum governed pump?

SvendH
True Blue

Post by SvendH »

Thats a good question,I had a minimec which had its lockinging wire and seal intact (breafley) and if i remember correct the screw was showing 2-3 threads over the nut.Lets hope one of the heavyweights chip in on this one :)

JC

Post by JC »

Thanks, Svend. I think that I will adjust it, so it smokes just a little under load, similar to the vacuum governed ones, unless someone tells me otherwise.

SvendH
True Blue

Post by SvendH »

Sounds right JC