Power Steering

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
SvendH
True Blue

Power Steering

Post by SvendH »

Hej all,
Anybody have experiance,or heard Something good or bad about Agrilines Kit?

dwol
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Power Steering

Post by dwol »

I put it on my 63 super and it works fine, except when the loader is full. It doesn't have much power, and is not built very heavy duty, but it is power steering. When I have a full bucket it wont turn going forward until I move a bit. I was really hoping to have a more powerful unit.

SvendH
True Blue

Post by SvendH »

well thats a bit of a bummer,I sometimes use my fsm with loader to move big hay-bales and for that it would have been great with som easy steering.Did you fit it yourself and do you think it is weaker than the originals?
Best Regards Svend.

dwol
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dwol »

I put it on myself, and it was really easy. The only problem I have is that the loader frame sits to close, and can pinch the hydraulic lines at times. I put a block of wood on one side of the axle and it keeps this from happening, but limits the axle play on that side. It does help with the loader weight, but not enough. I am glad to have it as manual steering was terrible.
I also have a 64 FSM with factory power steering, I think it is about the same as the aftermarket steering. They are listed as "power-assist" which is different that true power steering. neither are build for loaders (when loaded).
Kind regards
Dave

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

I do have an original power steering unit on my super 4 with 6cil engine. I also do have a full set of wheel weights in the front wheels. I must say there's a big difference when the power steering is doing it's job. With no power steering your arms would be thicker then your legs, especially if you have a turning radius of about 16meters.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

SvendH
True Blue

Post by SvendH »

Dave/Mathias,
Does it help if you rev up the engine,if so perhaps it would help if you could drive the pump with a larger pully?
a photo of the installation would be great :beer: hint,hint!

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Sven,
here are some pictures.

Would love to find a decent 2nd set to put on the super major. I already have the waterpump pulley and the crankshaft pulley.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

SvendH
True Blue

Post by SvendH »

Agriline say their kit is not suited for loader use :( unless modified,I suppose they mean mounting subframe changes/hose-routing and such and not that the unit itself is unsuited for loader duty?
Is it the same size of unit the County uses? Nice Pix!

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I have an original power steering unit on my 1960 power major that is much like the unit pictured. Say, That horn by the air cleaner ain't no Clear hooters. :shock: You'll loose point for that. :lol: Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major