Jumping out of low drive

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Jimbratt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Jumping out of low drive

Post by Jimbratt »

Hi guys
Got a 1963 super Major , that when I engage low drive for going down steep hills it always jumps out into neutral after about 50 meters
Any one got any ideas what it could be
When it’s in high drive everything is fine

Thanks in advance

Jim

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Jumping out of low drive

Post by Billy26F5 »

Sounds unusual, normally it's the main gear lever that jumps out and on much earlier tractors. For now I suggest holding on to the lever as a temporary measure, I can't really think of anything to cause this now but I suspect it's possibly in the lower front of the gearbox. Is the PTO ok? Would also need to know if it's a live clutch or not.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Sandy, from Jim’s earlier posts I think it’s a live drive. Do you think it’s possible that the lever has moved on the shaft and is hitting the cover before engaging low drive fully allowing it to jump out?
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

It is quite likely. Loose levers are not great, so see if that's the case and if so tighten it up so it moves solidly. Super Billy managed ok with the loose lever but he doesn't have a live clutch so not directly comparable, he's much better now with it nice and tight.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Jimbratt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Jimbratt »

Thanks guys , I will strip it out and have a look at the lever
Good to know it’s not a common problem

Thanks again
Jim