Fordson super 6 pot

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Banagher
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson super 6 pot

Post by Banagher »

Afternoon all from Co. Mayo Ireland.
I am starting a new project and currently in the prep phase. The project is to build a new super major and install a 6 cylinder Thames engine.
The backend is a Super major bought in County Laois, purchased approximately 1 year ago.
Live drive gearbox from same source but from different tractor.
6 cylinder FL engine serial S379799 sourced in Westmeath 10 years ago. It’s running. It is yellow and was taken from a combine. It still has a large pulley on the back. The simms injector has the following numbers under Simms, SPE6A755520
Front Axle is a heavy duty version and has a front mounted pump with 2 hydraulic tanks and an unusual front cowl.
Two spools included. Purchased 3 years ago. I have never seen this one before but it definitely fits the front tombstone and is for a major.
Duncan cab single door
Purchased in Co. Down last year.
Super major hydraulic top taken from a scraper in Co. Cork.
Back wheels with full Enfo weights ready to be installed. Purchased 3 years ago

So,
To begin. This project is along time coming and I have been working towards it for years. I’m always looking for bits to add to the collection.
The backend, gear box and engine are on the floor of my Garage.
Immediate plan is to bolt up back and gear box, mount back wheels and get it up on blocks. In prep for the engine part of the install I want to do some work on the engine.

I want to install the following,
new oil pump
Core /frost plugs
Sump gasket
Rocker head gasket
Water pump
Injector piping (6)
Suitable Clutch ( advise taken on what is best)
Also looking to see if anyone has drawings for modifications to the side rails and a suitable bracing for the front axle. The front axle cannot be turned around.
can anyone recommend a good source or at least the correct part number based on the Serial number above?

I apologise for the several questions I have raised but the knowledge is in this group.

I will try uploading photos and videos in the coming days/ weeks.

This project will take some time so please be patient with me and forgive dumb questions.

I have the Selene almost finished and that was a beast. The project lead has been very unwell for the past 18 months so I will update photos in that thread in due course.

Thanks in advance

Jim

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Fordson super 6 pot

Post by Billy26F5 »

Some casting codes would help, but your engine is an April 64. If it's running well don't do anything major to it. Using a live clutch with a six is not a wise idea, as the cover is weak aluminium (unless you intend on getting the expensive aftermarket type). Don't really understand what you mean about the front axle yet. Leave the cab until everything else is ok. Is the top cover an NP or not? What size wheels are you intending to use? New oil pumps are not available as they're different from the 4 cylinder ones (see this from Janus: https://www.tractorfan.nl/picture/886882/user/28285/). Gaskets can easily be made from gasket paper but also available pre made. Injector pipes not available. Side channels simply need the extra length, for the A frame it's worth finding or making a proper cast sump, although it will be expensive. I recommend you aim for parts to be of reasonably similar ages.
Lots of pics will be great, videos of the engine running will also be great.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Banagher
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Fordson super 6 pot

Post by Banagher »

Afternoon all,
Whilst making gaskets for the backend to gearbox I noticed that there is a pool of oil leaking out of the gearbox front the back. This is at the connection point for the pto shaft. I suspect that oil should not be leaking from the gearbox to the backend.
At this point with the gearbox on the floor, I am looking for advice on what seals/bearings should be changed on the gear box.
And if so is it a big task?