59 FPM - Smokin' like a chimney!

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Lazy T
I’m not sure if anyone has gone through this properly yet, your problem sounds plain and simple to be injector or injector pump problems.

Start it up, crack loose and then tighten each injector line one at a time keeping body parts clear of the fuel squirting out. You should hear a noticeable limp in the engine when the line is loose and leaking, this is a good cylinder as it is firing properly under pressure, a vague to no change in the engine is an indicator of problems. Normally a person may find one or two cylinders that are weak, but in your case you may find all four to be crappy. If you have at least one cylinder that really limps when the line is cracked this is good, swap a injectors from one of the weak cylinders to this one and check them again, if the cylinder that was bad is now good and the good cylinder is now bad the problem is the injector, if the good cylinder stays good and the bad cylinder stays bad you most likely have a bad injector pump, assuming that the cylinders have good compression, no burnt valves, etc.
If you find bad injectors don’t waste your time paying someone to rebuild them, Agraline has new nozzles for 18.50 each. You will need the early version with .010 orifices.

No guarantees that I’m rite but this is where I would start looking.

Pat

LazyTRanch
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LazyTRanch »

BearCreek Majors wrote:Lazy T

Start it up...
Oh, if I only could start it up :) I do like the tip on the purchase of the injectors. I'm going to go search them out, as even if it is the pump, I plan to have this for years and imagine a new set could come in handy later, if not now.

Thanks,
Tim

Saint Cyr
Not Quite Blue Yet

Thanks Guys for all this good information

Post by Saint Cyr »

Not to take away from LazyTRanch and his problems I had the same problem and found that the governor diaphragm had an 1 inch rip in it. Luck me I just bought a used injector pump on ebay and it came in last week and after checking it out I found the governor diaphragm on that pump was in working condition. Last weekend I had the time to work on her and after replacing the diaphragm it ran great no more BLACK smoke.

This is a 1956 FDM with front end and back end loaders that I bought back in Feb of 2008 but could not get up to my land until spring time. Any ways I'm just happy that its running now and wish it was up and running back in July.

Thanks all for your post and advice..
Larry S Saint Cyr
Brockton Mass USA

LazyTRanch
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Thanks Guys for all this good information

Post by LazyTRanch »

Saint Cyr wrote:Not to take away from LazyTRanch and his problems I had the same problem and found that the governor diaphragm had an 1 inch rip in it. Luck me I just bought a used injector pump on ebay and it came in last week and after checking it out I found the governor diaphragm on that pump was in working condition. Last weekend I had the time to work on her and after replacing the diaphragm it ran great no more BLACK smoke.
That's awesome. I think that was my problem totally, and then I created a problem for myself after the fact :(

Saint Cyr
Not Quite Blue Yet

My 1956 FDM

Post by Saint Cyr »

Here what she looks like!

And this is my bad governor diaphragm !

Larry S Saint Cyr
Brockton Mass USA

Saint Cyr
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Thanks Guys for all this good information

Post by Saint Cyr »

LazyTRanch wrote:
Saint Cyr wrote:Not to take away from LazyTRanch and his problems I had the same problem and found that the governor diaphragm had an 1 inch rip in it. Luck me I just bought a used injector pump on ebay and it came in last week and after checking it out I found the governor diaphragm on that pump was in working condition. Last weekend I had the time to work on her and after replacing the diaphragm it ran great no more BLACK smoke.
That's awesome. I think that was my problem totally, and then I created a problem for myself after the fact :(
Tim wish I was closer to you to give you a helping hand with your problems.
Larry S Saint Cyr
Brockton Mass USA

LazyTRanch
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LazyTRanch »

Just to provide detail on what screws are what (as far as what I did to them):

The red one is the one that I turned, that I think I shouldn't have turned. The other day I turned it all the way out, and then two turns back in got the injectors spraying (all the way out, only the injector for the front cylinder would spray.)

The green one was turned some originally after putting the new diaphraghm in because at certain points, I could work the lever, put my fingers over the two holes and it would still pop out. I adjusted it to a point where I could work lever, and it would hold there while I put two fingers on the holes, and release when I let them go.

I did move it out to the in-laws acreage thinking if I got it going, it would be a good place to run it around. Not to mention, plenty of room to pull start if necessary.

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

The one in the green circle is the buffer screw. You can adjust it to help stop governor "hunt". Turning it shouldn't have had any effect on the diaphragm vacuum test. The red one is the one I thought you were talking about in your other post. I need to re-read some of your other posts and look at my spare injector pump before I say anything else.
We haven't visited my in-laws in a while. When we do, maybe I'll get a chance to see your tractor in person.

LazyTRanch
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LazyTRanch »

JC wrote:The one in the green circle is the buffer screw. You can adjust it to help stop governor "hunt".
What is "hunt"? Is that perhaps the recovery when the engine "sags"? (all these technical terms, hehe.)
JC wrote:We haven't visited my in-laws in a while. When we do, maybe I'll get a chance to see your tractor in person.
You told me where they were and I forgot already, but if you are going to be in the general area and want to see it, I'd be happy to show it off. It'd be nice to meet someone who would actually appreciate the blue beast that I've come to love (with some other emotions thrown in.)

LazyTRanch
Not Quite Blue Yet

Update! It's alive (again)

Post by LazyTRanch »

Well, this can be good news, and it can be bad news... but, I got it to run again today!

It wasn't like it used to be with the crazy "running at full rev spewing clouds of unburnt fuel" at least.

Here's what I did:

1. Made sure everything in the fuel system was bled up to the back of the injectors.
2. Adjusted the previously red-circled screw while cranking to find out which would give me more smoke (thinking it was more fuel.)
3. Would start using ether, and kept it going with light feathers of ether while "fine tuning" the "red" screw to make it remain running.

The point where it would remain running did still have an occasional "pop", dark smoke, and even an occasional flame from the exhaust elbow (had no exhaust on at the time.) When trying to do anything with heavy load, if it throttle wasn't wide open, it would often die.

Overall, it only ran for about 4-5 minutes total before shutting it down (I've got "that flu", and wasn't eager about being outside breathing smoke.) Perhaps if I ran it longer, it would have got a little more stable, not sure.

So, while it isn't the crazy runaway global warming smoke spewer that it wasn't before, it will definitely not start without ether, and while I imagine there still needs to be some fine-tuning on the fuel delivery/governor, I am sure there are some opportunities still.

Thanks!
Tim

LazyTRanch
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LazyTRanch »

Well, it now is running again. Have some adjusting to do (nope, won't ever touch the pump again.)

What did I do? I bought a pump from someone in the UK on eBay. Installed it, and away it went.

It's still a cold starter, but it needs the valves adjusted after the grind, and the throttle doesn't seem to be working. But, it starts and runs which is better than what it was doing!

henk

Post by henk »

The discription of the problem seems like mine.

What was the sollution from this problem.

(maybe I missread it with bad Englisch of mine)
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

He put another pump on it.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

LazyTRanch
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LazyTRanch »

Brian wrote:He put another pump on it.
Yep. Bought one off eBay from somewhere in the UK. Threw it on, and after I figured out I had it 180 degrees out of sync and fixed that, it worked (still a cold starter.)

I mowed 10 acres with it a couple weekends ago. :)