1955 Major Diesel Issue #2 - more leaks!

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
bob
Not Quite Blue Yet

1955 Major Diesel Issue #2 - more leaks!

Post by bob »

I have two areas along the bottom of my Fordson that I would like suggestions on how to properly stop them up.

First, there is a spot on the lower right where it appears as if there should be a cover plate maybe? through the opening, I can view some gears and it does throw some oil out while the tractor is in operation.

Second photo shows a small hole on the very bottom of the tractor with a clip emerging from it. It is located immediately in back of the sump. Oil drips constantly from this opening, whether or not the tractor is running.

Should I cover both of these, and if so, what should I use?

Thank you,

bob

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Both you leaks are related. The first is through the timing plate, this should have a cover but even this would not be oil tight. The second is through a hole that is put there to let oil out of the clutch housing.

Two places that leak.

!) Rear main oil seal - oil will be black. Cure is to split the tractor, remove the flywheel and clutch, then replace the rope seal in the top housing. Then remove the sump and replace the seals and gaskets on that.

2) Gearbox front shaft seal - oil will be browny in colour and noticably thicker or will look clean. Cure is to split the tractor and the outer housing of the gear box input shaft. Replace the seal in here. If your tractor has a live clutch, there is also a seal between the two input shafts.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian