exhaust elbow & front end loader

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
big brad
Not Quite Blue Yet

exhaust elbow & front end loader

Post by big brad »

hello all
i am currently putting a front loader on my major. i have fitted the brackets and the rams but i have a problem with the ram catching the exhaust elbow. can you get a narrower elbow? or have i got to modify it? has anybody else had same problem .

Grani
True Blue

Re: exhaust elbow & front end loader

Post by Grani »

big brad wrote:hello all
i am currently putting a front loader on my major. i have fitted the brackets and the rams but i have a problem with the ram catching the exhaust elbow. can you get a narrower elbow? or have i got to modify it? has anybody else had same problem .
It has to be modified, in worst case, så that it goes through the bonnet. On my Roadless even the handles to open the bonnet are to mutch.

Kim
True Blue

Post by Kim »

I have seen one on a major that had the exhaust pipe running down under the tractor and to the rear instead of out and up. It seemed to be a factory installation as it bolted to the manifold in the same place as the u-pipe and it had an odd curve to it to get by between the frame and the engine block (or it might have been a very well done customization). Hope this helps.
Never give up!

Kim
True Blue

Post by Kim »

I just realized that there is a photo of the underneath exhaust system on a Major posted by Bob 4 topics below this one under "1955 Fordson Major Diesel-need repair help". Good luck!
Never give up!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

All Horndraulic loaders for Majors had a re-positioned exhaust. They had an elbow option that brought the exhaust forward and through the bonnet. We had to cut a hole everytime we fitted a new loader.

I never remember any tractors with under slung exhaust systems, they were too much trouble. They got whacked and plugged if loading in the muck yards. Remember the tractors were working up to their axles in muck and an under slung exhaust was vulnerable. Also when working with steerage hoes you could gas the man on the hoe.

Henrietta was originally equipped with an under slung exhaust. What a liability that would have been in the harvest field. As I have said many times, Henrietta's exhaust glows red all the time she is in work. Imagine that in straw when baling or carting. Plus the fact she would be shooting a few sparks as well.

In the !980's we had a local farmer who, when he saw his new combine broken down in the field, tore across the stubble and straw in his new Volvo to see what was wrong. Whilst he was berating the fitter to get the job done and cursing the combine manufacturer, someone noticed a curl of smoke from under the Volvo. Before anything could be done, the car burst into flame and took the car, combine and about 50 acres with it. All due to straw on a very hot exhaust.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian