Steering gear

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Kjetil
True Blue

Steering gear

Post by Kjetil »

Have the steering gear been the same throughout the history for Majors and Super Majors, or have there been any changes?

With steering gear I mean the part below the fuel tank.

Any changes to the steerin colum?

The reason for asking is because I need one for a Super Major.

Kjetil

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

Kjetil,
The steering column was longer on the Power and Super Majors, because the gauges were moved to the top of the fuel tank. The rest of the steering box is the same. If you want to use a steering box from a Major, you will still need the shaft and main nut from a Power or Super Major.

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Kjetil
The column is longer on the Super Major, to allow it to come up past the guage panel that sits under the Super major steering wheel.
As far as I can tell, everything else is the same.
If you want the whole steering box, you will have to go for a used one, but seals, bearings and shafts are still available.

(I just checked my 2 "Major" steering boxes, and 1 has a Major shaft in the column and the other has a Super Major shaft in the column. This steering wheel sits 40mm higher.)
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

JC

Post by JC »

You can use a Power or Super shaft in a Major steering column, like Kev said, but you can't use a Major shaft in a Power or Super column. Its too short. The other difference is that a Power or Super column has a mounting bracket on the top for the gauges and throttle and the Major one doesn't.

Kjetil
True Blue

Post by Kjetil »

Thanks

Now I know what to look for.

Kjetil