Whats this lever for?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Whats this lever for?

Post by Daves rusty bits »

Can someone tell me what this lever worked? It pivots halfway down and has a hole near the bottom for a rod or cable but there`s nothing attached to it, thanks. I`ve also put on a couple of pictures of my major.

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Welcome Dave,

The lever must be some home made thing.
The Power Major looks very good. The nose, fenders and hood is nice and straight.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Thanks Henk, I think the lever is an origonal fitment, the head of the bolt it pivots on is on the inside next to the crankcase so the lever was put on before the footplate and mudguard. The orange grills (sorry Brian) and mudguards were newly fitted when I bought it but the rest of the tin is origonal and quite straight, hope it stays that way for the next 50 years!

Kim
True Blue

What's this lever for?

Post by Kim »

:idea: Given the proximity to the belt pulley and the fact that there is a hole in it, I'd guess that there are pieces missing and that it was a brake lever for the belt pulley. There is a very similar setup on an old CASE tractor that I have. A rod goes from the lever to a pivoting arm with a piece of brake lining that bears against the pulley when pulled.
Never give up!

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

That makes sense to me Kim, now I`ve looked there is an unused bracket by the pulley, thanks, it was really bugging me