Simms Injector Pump Information

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
LazyTRanch
Not Quite Blue Yet

Simms Injector Pump Information

Post by LazyTRanch »

In my Fordson learning experience, I've come across a great amount of information. The one "hole" in my learning experience has been related to the Simms pump.

All the documents always say "consult a authorized service center" or something similar related to the pump. This is all fine and dandy, but it leads to not having any sort of understanding in operation/theory related to the pump.

So, is there any information related to the pump available anywhere, or is it just a great mystery reserved only for a few elect? :)

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Simms Injector Pump Information

Post by Bensdexta »

LazyTRanch wrote:In my Fordson learning experience, I've come across a great amount of information. The one "hole" in my learning experience has been related to the Simms pump.

All the documents always say "consult a authorized service center" or something similar related to the pump. This is all fine and dandy, but it leads to not having any sort of understanding in operation/theory related to the pump.

So, is there any information related to the pump available anywhere, or is it just a great mystery reserved only for a few elect? :)
There's a fair amount of info on the Dexta Simms injection pump in the Dexta Workshop Manual, Fuel System - Section 4. Don't know how much read across there is to the major, but might be worth a look. This can be downloaded from Stefan's excellent site fordson-dexta.de
All the best,
Ben

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

In the I&T shop service manual from the major models there's a chapter about the pump. It starts with the warning not to work on the pump in any environment other than one that is prepared for this job.
In contents a description of disassembly and reassembly.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

LazyTRanch
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LazyTRanch »

The manual at http://fordson-dexta.de/downloads/section4.pdf was exactly what I was looking for, even though it wasn't specific to the pump on my tractor. It gives a great overview of how everything works together, but also includes great technical detail on certain things. I liked some of the cutaway views to kind of make the "mysterious" parts a little less mysterious.

The troubleshooting pages were also excellent!

I have an I&T manual that covers several Majors, so tonight for bedtime reading, I'll see if there isn't something in there in the sections I usually don't wander into.

Thanks,
Tim