Oil specs.

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
John
True Blue

Oil specs.

Post by John »

Although the oil specs are listed here dating from 1959, are they still valid as oil specs have moved on?

For 2009, what would be a recommended universal oil (engine, gearbox, axles, hydraulics, pto) for a Major? All across the internet opinions vary between SAE80/90, straight 30, 20/30, 15/40, high or low detergent et al.

What initially seems to be simple becomes a minefield.

Cheers :D

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The oil specs for all Majors changed in 1959, these details are taken from Ford updates. In the 50 odd years the engines and transmissions have not changed so if Ford say you need universal oil in the transmission, then you do not need 80/90W.

Most modern oils are far to good for the Major, Dexta and even tractors up to the 1990's. They contain additives that are actually harmful to our engines and certain oil seals. I would not use any form of synthetic oil in my tractor and, although I would use modern multi-use oils in my gearbox and hydraulics, I would not use it in my engine. Two reasons, the additive to stop brake squeal in the modern tractor tends to plate the liners and rings in our old engines causing problems and the detergent specifications far exceed what is required. This can lead to plugged filters and carbon seals on pistons being dissolved causing oil burning.

However my other concern would be the seals in these area.

I have been using 15/40W Freedom oil in my fleet. Whilst it has worked well in the diesel engines it is a little too thin for the petrol ones. I found that Halfords do an oil for earlier engines and changing to this heavier oil has increased the oil pressure in my petrol/paraffin Major quite dramatically.

If you do a search on here for oil related posts you will find this question comes up quite a lot. There are companies that supply the correct oils or near equivalents.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian