Central Heating Oil

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
John
True Blue

Central Heating Oil

Post by John »

This stuff is often used in old diesel engines and illegally in road vehicles.

The price compares with agricultural diesel (red), but would it be suitable for a Major either neat or dilute? I only ask because I've got about 100 litres drained from an oil tank that I'd like to put to good use.

Cheers.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

You can use it without any tecnical problems in a Major. I used it for years in my Ford 590E boat engine. Nowdays I have to use Diesel, thanks to EU. :evil:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Depends which grade it is.

If it is the diesel oil type, it will have slightly less of the lubrication qualities used in engines. I would use it but either mix it 50/50 with normal diesel or add a bottle of Automatic Transmission Fluid to the tank every time I filled up.

Hope Mr. Darling does not read this forum. :D Oh we should be OK, that lot do not know what a tractor is. :twisted:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

We used #2 heating oil in our farm tractors for 40 years and many of them had 8 and 9 thousand hours on them without any injection pump failures. Road fuel has the sulfer removed back here in the states, and therfore has less lubricating properties than home heating oil. Not sure what the deal is in other parts of the world. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major