Weight of a Major oil pan

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Kim
True Blue

Post by Kim »

Before I get a surprise, could anyone tell me about how much the oil pan weighs on a '57 major. I know it is a structural member and has to be rugged but I'd like to know what to expect when I undo the last bolt! Thanks.
Never give up!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

It's heavy and awkward to get down as you have to manoeuvre it from behind the mounting plate and then the rear main.

I have done it on my own both removal and replacing it but I was much younger then. :D

One trick was to use a couple of open ended spanners on the sump flanges just to stop it dropping right down and catching you out.

Don't forget the two bolts in the clutch housing that go from front to back.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Kim
True Blue

Post by Kim »

I have removed twenty-two 5/16" pan bolts and 7 more from the clutch housing and it won't budge! It feels like it's welded there! Before I try any brute force, I thought I should ask the guys who have been there as I don't want to break anything. Is there a special place to start with a thin wedge or a place to pry against that won't hurt anything? On most vehicles I've worked on, a good thump with a rubber mallet has started things but not this one. I have a hydraulic jack a quarter inch under it so it won't go far when it comes loose, but first it's gotta come loose! Thank You to everyone on this forum; your advice and experience has been tremendously helpful. :?
Never give up!

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Brian wrote:It's heavy and awkward
Kim
Like Brian says, but probably more awkward than heavy.
There's nowhere to get it to balance easily on a jack.

Did you get the bolt right at the front of the sump. In the area between the crankshaft and the aux drive shaft (for the injector pump).
Unless you know it's there or look hard, it's very easy to miss. Been caught out there myself. :oops:

Just been and checked my engine, and there are 22 bolts between the sump and the block and 7 bolts between the sump and gearbox. So looks like you have got them all.

Why are you dropping the sump. Do you have a problem with the engine.
I have to drop the sump on my spare engine, as the oil pressure relief valve is not relieving itself. Currently running at about 170psi :roll:
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Kim
True Blue

Post by Kim »

Hi Kev! If you look at the pictures I posted under "Fordson Major Backhoe" (about 27 subjects below this one), you'll see what years of water in the cylinders can do (the reason I have to drop the sump). I think the two middle pistons and sleeves will come out OK but #1 & #4 are going to be tough. I have to see what condition the crank is in to decide if I continue with the project or not. I did find the bolt at the front of the sump and you're right about it being hidden! And by the way, 170 lbs is A LOT of oil pressure!!!!!
Never give up!

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

Kim,
Not that I've done it but thinking laterally, you might consider "slinging" the pan from above? Block and tackle; gantry; crane; or even a couple of step ladders placed either side and a gantry spanning across the tractor.

Edited out>
I've edited out a comment about the bolts until I double check my own unit. Parts list quotes 24 sump bolts but the diagram only shows 22. Book doesn't show Clutch housing bolts. :( I did count mine before and got 5 plus what I thought were 2 dowl pin holes. Will try and clarify as soon as it stops raining.
'
Regards,
Rick

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Right at the front of the sump there is a bolt up a hole that can get missed and also two bolts in the clutch housing end that go from the front, backwards.

It is not easy to support the sump with jacks and lifts because it does not come straight down. It has to be dropped a little way and then angled down at the front to get it out. If you have the front of the engine stripped down it is easier.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Kim
True Blue

Post by Kim »

Hi Brian! I got the two bolts that go in from the front into the clutch housing and the five that go through it from the rear. Also the one at the front that is up a hole for a total of 22 which is what my book says. I believe Rick's "dowel pin holes" are the two bolts that go in from the front and they are probably missing on his tractor. As long as it won't just drop straight down as you say, I'll try driving a sharpened junk screwdriver into the gasket space between the block and the sump and see if it will separate. Your advice is greatly appreciated! Kim
Never give up!

Kim
True Blue

Post by Kim »

I finally got it off by using a pair of jack screws against the frame and the side of the sump. Brian, you sure were rugged in your younger days doing it alone as it weighed 85 pounds on two different sets of scales! I will make a jig to hold it on a floor jack when I put it back as I know my limits!
Never give up!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I think the word you are looking for is stupid! :roll: I have also removed a Super lift on my own by pivoting it over the top link.
Brian