Routing of electrical harness on a 1954 major diesel.

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Bill
Not Quite Blue Yet

Routing of electrical harness on a 1954 major diesel.

Post by Bill »

I have 3 1954 Major Diesels, one going which I use on a hobby farm, another I have started to restore hopefully to "concours" finish and the third using for parts. I have a detailed electrical schematic but it does not show the routing of the electrical harness. In particular where it goes after leaving the side of the tappet inspection cover and how it gets to the headlights. All 3 majors I have are incomplete in the harness and have been "butchered" or modified. These are Australian spec., majors and I have noticed there are some slight differences to the English spec. Can you assist. Thanks.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Harness runs from the back of the starter, along the side of the engine to the dynamo, then down the front mounting plate and along the side chanell and up to the left headlight. Then an extension loom goes from the headlamp junction, along the radiator support to the thermostat housin and over to the right head lamp.

There are clips to hold the loom to the front plate/side channel and should be clamps allong the engine block.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bill
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Bill »

Thanks for the info., However I am confused. In short I came across a '54 FMD in complete condition. Not for sale but was owned by her father and bought new after he finished with draught horses. When he passed away it was kept in a shed to this very day. Totally untouched covered in dust and bird shit. Now the interesting thing is the wiring harness leaves the instrument box on the L.H. side, travels pass the solenoid. Switch wires(2) branch off to starter motor. The harness then turns right under the battery box at the fire wall, 2 clips off bolts, and then turns left and runs along side the tappet cover. Clips again. At the front timing case it turn left, travels under the thermostat housing and between the timing case and around to the rear of the generator. A long way around for a short cut. Then as you described down the engine mount and onto the cowl and lights. This appears genuine and untouched. It is sheathed in a black plastic smooth tube. Cloth type tape at branches and old style lucas joiners. The tacho cable runs across from the drive under the thermostat housing and between the timing case, around and pass the generator and is clipped and bolted to the block as it makes its way to the tachometer. She assures me that nothing was every done to it other than services by local dealer. Serial number indicates that it is the same vintage/year as mine.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

That is right for pre-1954 tractors. Sorry to mislead you. Brain not in right gear. I should have gone into the yard and looked at mine. :cry:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Hello Bill,

Can you take pictures from it to document it. You don't find them often.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

It is on the Wiki Henk :D

Brian