Radius rod/pivot - and other stuff

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
John
True Blue

Radius rod/pivot - and other stuff

Post by John »

Following on from this thread (my newly acquired Major), after the hot pressure wash the first service went surprisingly well. But on removing the oil filter case, there was no oil filter, spring or washer!

The case had acted as a trap for sludge, but after half an hour having visited 'our man', I had a new OEM Major filter, spring and washer, plus an original PTO cover, all for a few Euros.

Photo after pressure wash and service. (Can't wait to get started cleaning the tinwork.)

Now a potential problem. The radius rod pivot pin seems to require a spacer. There is also a nut and bolt through the end of the pin. Could some kind soul look at the pics and give me an opinion as to the state? The manual pics only show a bush. And how is the pin secured in order to locate the radius rod?

One hell of a learning curve, isn't it? :lol:

Cheers :D

Image[/img]

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Hello John,

Typical France with the yellow light bole.

I’m curios to the answer, because I have to replace the parts myself in a short time.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

John
True Blue

Post by John »

henk wrote:Hello John,

Typical France with the yellow light bole.

I’m curios to the answer, because I have to replace the parts myself in a short time.
And that's another little job - get the headlamps to work. Then I have to fit an orange gyrophare (revolving beacon) to be road-legal (in theory!)

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

A large flat washer should take up the space. The bolt was originally a very large split (cotter) pin.

Do you have the codes and serial number (or have we already checked her)? She looks like a 1954/55 model. Very nice and will repay a little TLC.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

John
True Blue

Post by John »

Hi, Brian. So replacing with a suitable washer - all other things being equal - should sort that little problem?

The serial number is 1406075 - October 56. I found a cast on the front axle beam - 27F5 - which I think is a manufacturing date for that piece of 27/4/55. I haven't got round to the rest yet.

Thanks for help so far. Invaluable. :D

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Yes that would be right. She does not have the modified engine but that did not come in until April 1957. I always think it was earlier for some reason.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian