Valve Stem Seals

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
LazyTRanch
Not Quite Blue Yet

Valve Stem Seals

Post by LazyTRanch »

Anyone have an image showing where the valve stem seals fit in the assembly? This is for my '59 Fordson Power Major.

I checked the manual online here, my I&T manual, and some pictures I took prior to disassembling. The pictures are no help, and the diagrams in the manuals don't show the seals.

I seem to recall them being around the valve stem, sitting on the valve guide. But, they aren't really mating with anything. I thought "great, these are too big" and grabbed the old ones for comparison and they are the exact same size (more wore through the center hole and a lot "firmer" though.)

Thanks in advance!

Tim

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Seals just push over the valve stem and go up and down with the valve. They should be like a mushroom and direct the oil away from the guide rather than seal it.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

LazyTRanch
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LazyTRanch »

Brian wrote:Seals just push over the valve stem and go up and down with the valve. They should be like a mushroom and direct the oil away from the guide rather than seal it.
Thanks so much! I was expecting them to "snug" onto something so it was confusing me (which isn't too hard at near midnight my time... so maybe I should save working with the valve spring compressor until after some sleep.)

Tim