A new Fordson Super Major & backhoe.

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

A new Fordson Super Major & backhoe.

Post by Meanderer »

Hi,
I posted this image and story in the Miscellaneous Forum and thought it should be here too. Heres a link to that thread:
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... php?t=1347

'
Regards,
Rick

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Post by Daves rusty bits »

Rick,did the colour coordinated socks come with the machine? Over here we get a pair of overalls!! :o

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

No Dave,
Socks were wool/blend footy socks. They were a Gold and Maroon bands with gold tops.
It never ceases to amaze me what the human brain can retain in there for a lifetime. That photo was 46 years ago and as soon as I saw it last night, I remembered the little black pattern that was in that green shirt, the very soft texture of the material, the socks and everything. The image doesn't reveal that but it instantly resurfaced from my memory. Memories are not restricted to images, names or sounds. I find smells, tastes, in fact any of our senses (and emotions) can be recalled at will. Even after almost 60 years in my case. It really is amazing. Pity we can't remember more of what would benefit our prosperity but hey, memories can be a real treasure if we can learn how to dump the sh*t !! :D
'
Regards,
Rick

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

That is a really great photo from the past. Thanks for sharing. :D Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

Glad to see that you're back again, Rick. We miss having you around.
That's a great picture of you and the Super Major. Its no wonder that you like them so much. I noticed that it even says "backhoe" on it. I thought that they were only called that here. I thought they were called diggers everywhere else. My Dad says that he worked for a guy that had a couple of Major backhoes that were almost new. He's going to see if he can find some pictures of them. While I was typing this, my daughter-in-law sent a picture to my cell phone of my grandson and I riding on my Power Major. I hope he grows up with as fond of memories of them as you have.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

JC,
I've just checked out where you are, Montague - right to the North of Calif almost in Oregon. Seems to be quite a small town and high, 2500ft. Is there much agriculture there? I wonder what those Fordsons were originally purchased for, agriculture or construction? I've just seen some photos you posted earlier of your tractor fleet.
All the best,
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

JC

Post by JC »

Hi Ben,
Montague is a small town, about 600 people, and that's the way I like it. We live right on the edge of town, but a little farther away from "civilization" would even be better. The big city in our county is Yreka, about 7 miles west of us, with a population of 7500. 2500 ft. is about average elevation for a town in this county. We are right on the valley floor. To the east is another valley that's about 1000 ft. higher. West of Yreka are some small towns at a much lower elevation, but they're in steep, rugged terrian. This is an agricultural area, with logging and mining in the mountains around us. We raise hay and cattle in this valley. The valley east of us grows strawberries, potatoes, and alfalfa hay. West of us, they produce mostly illegal drugs :roll:
All of my tractors were farm tractors. Ag tractors weren't used for construction much, because they were considered too light. Occasionally you would find a backhoe mounted on an ag tractor or maybe a big tractor pulling a scraper, but not very often.