Engine problem - fuel injection pump?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
John-Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Engine problem - fuel injection pump?

Post by John-Paul »

Hello all

Today I fitted a new lift pump to my ASP (A rare Major variant made up over the decades from parts of different tractors).

That job was fairly straightforward - the problems became apparent after starting the tractor up again. Last time the tractor ran - a months or so ago, it was running very nicely. This time, however, it ran extremely fast, with an angry sound and lots of smoke (maybe the smoke is to be expected as it is very cold).

When I tried to shut the engine off, the baler twine connected to the fuel cut-off lever broke. At first I just thought that this was an example of why baler twine wasn't fitted to other Major models, but then I noticed that the lever itself was stuck :(

The only way I could stop the engine was with the decompression lever.

As the fuel cut-off lever assembly also has the excess fuel (cold start) button at its base, I was wondering if the problem with the stuck lever could have something to do with the fast running problem?

There is oil in the air cleaner, and also the gaffer tape (another detail specific to the ASP) over the hole in the intake air pipe while not particularly fresh, doesn't seem to be leaking - otherwise I'd suspect a vacuum leak.

Could there be something (fuel metering rack?) stuck inside my fuel pump that is causing the problem? Does anyone have any ideas?

Don't laugh, but I have my fingers crossed hoping that I can get this running properly tomorrow - saturday is my day off, then it's back to work on sunday...

regards to all,

John-Paul

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

J-P,

You can remove the stop lever fairly easily by taking out the four screws. Once the housing is off you can work on it with your special ASP tools, a blow lamp and a 14lb hammer.

If it is stuck it may give you your rev problem as it is connected to the fuel rack. This also may be stuck/sticky. You will find a drop of Automatic Transmisson Fluid in the diesel works wonders and also use it to free off the pump if it is sticking.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

John-Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by John-Paul »

Thanks Brian!

You've given me hope that things may be still on schedule. I thought those four screws looked tempting - it's good to know I can proceed.

I'll also have a read of the workshop manual tonight. The flesh-eating monkeys can have it as a bedtime story instead of their usual Enid Blyton.

Thanks again

John-Paul

John-Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Solved!

Post by John-Paul »

Problem solved - the metering rack was sticking. After much plucking-up of courage I removed the regulator from the front of the fuel pump as well as the stop control. This didn't release any Jesus springs, but did give me access to both ends of the rack.

At first it looked like it was really stuck, but then I got a bit bolder, and tapped slightly less gently with a light hammer, and got the rack moving fairly easily in fact.

This was all in a temperature of about +1C, with sleet coming in at exactly the right angle to go down the back of my neck :lol:
Once the tractor was nearly back up together, my friend called and asked if I'd like to borrow his big air conditioned John Deere (can I say that on here?) and low loader trailer for the transportation. Up to this point, I had been planning on driving the ASP the 15 miles home. After all, what's a bit of mildly wintery weather? It took me about 15 miliseconds to accept the kind offer.

As a result, the ASP is currently here in the barn, enjoying its first night under cover in about 50 years. I replaced the broken hemp baler twine stop control cable with new, blue, large square bale twine - more like light rope - as fitted to later versions of the ASP.

The afternoon was spent on my friends farm digging ditches (ie I got to play with a digger that had a rototilt bucket!) and doing some tipper work with the JD.

All in all a good result - with special thanks to Brian, whose suggestion for extra lubrication has been put into effect.

Thanks again

John-Paul

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

John-Paul,
Its good to hear that you got her running again. I sure enjoy reading your posts. I think that you should publish an ASP parts catalog and possibly a repair manual, too. :lol:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

J-P and the Fordson ASP is one of the reasons fordsontractorpages is in existence. :D J-P owns the original ASP and hopefully he will soon post some pictures!

Way, way back in history J-P used to post question about his Major on Yesterdays Tractors. They were always very funny and when Chris from the Isle of Wight and I used to answer them it caused quite a few laughs.

Oscar also used to ask about his Dexta and posted his own website address.

We found that YT was an excellent site but there was really no interest in Majors and Dextas from England, then Oscar asked me to post on his site so I began to answer question on both.

Eventually J-P bought a Zetor and we excommunicated him :evil: No, really he changed his job and eventually move house away from the ASP, then started posting on truck sites where the humour still goes on. J-P has a host of stories about his work and is actually a highly skilled trucker.

We met for the first time in February this year when he and his friend came over to buy some J-D's. I arranged a hotel and took the around the local dealers. On the Sunday night they arrived, Ann and I took them out to a local village inn, only to discover that, in his driving days in England, J-P had managed to demolish the inn's freshly planted grass area by turning a big six wheeler around on it and getting stuck. :D Talk about coincidence! Luckily all this happened many years ago but the "Wanted. Dead or Alive" posters had only just been taken down and no-one recognised him.

But he did have a defence. The lawn was covered with snow, it was night and it looked like a car park.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian