super major not lifting

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
wee blue tractor fan
Not Quite Blue Yet

super major not lifting

Post by wee blue tractor fan »

hi guys i was wondering if anybody could help me diagnose the fault with my super major it will not lift the arms or pump oil out the external services pipe but if i take the top cover off the pump seems to be pumping oil i have seen a post that makes me think it is the unloading valve i was wondering where that is I seen a post from brian telling to look at a picture in a manual on the forum but cant find any sign of them I have also seen reference to wiki but again dont see what that is any help or advice would be appreciated

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

If you have got the top off, the unload valve is immediatly above (or below if the lift is on its back) the control valve.

Remove the front plate and spring,n find a bolt that will thread inyo the front of the plug and using a socket or a piece of pipe the right size, pull the plug out. Then gently tap/push the valve out from the rear. Polish it, replace the "O" ring or, if you are really lucky, you will have a metal ring which will not need replacing. When cleaned and polished carefully put it back in the sleeve and reassemble the lift.

I usually try things with just a couple of bolts in the top cover before bolting it down.

Go to "Misc" there is a link to the Wiki there for your setup guide.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

wee blue tractor fan
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by wee blue tractor fan »

thanks brian will lift top cover off and try that .Iwas just wondering is this common with super majors as there are afew majors in our area and it is only the supers that the hydraulics are giving problems the majors and power majors never seem to give probs

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Unload valve sticking is a very common problem on Fords right back to the 9N's. Usually if the lift gets condensation in it and the tractor is not used on a regular basis it occurs.

The valve is worked by back pressure in the oil return to tank line and this is only 12psi, working on a very small surface area. If the return filter is faulty or the return valve at the end of the return pipe is stuck open this will also cause the problem. The slightest bit of a blemish will cause the valve to stick.

The Majors do not have the same type of unload valve as they do not have draft control.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian